• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they put a Realtor lock box while I'm renting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atomizer

OP, you can make it so that the landlord does not sell the home anytime real soon. However, it will not be your next landlord that a future LL will be calling, but your present one. The solution to your problem is cooperation in turn for notification of when the home will be shown.

Think long-term.

Lynda99

I repeat, it isn't for sale, it's for rent.

This landlord will never be used as a reference, I don't need anything from them, I own a house in another city. If I ever want another rent house, I can easily get one.

I would never give their name as a reference, they are a$$hats, and have been since day one.
Example: My rent is due on the 1st, and past due on the 5th. They consider each time I paid the rent on the 2nd as a "late payment".
Example: When I moved in, there was no hot water in the shower/tub in the second bathroom. When I called for a repair, they told me that I didn't need that bathroom "because one person doesn't need two bathrooms".

If they wanted my cooperation, they should have thought of that before they acted like jerks for 4 years.

TigerD

I repeat, it isn't for sale, it's for rent.

This landlord will never be used as a reference, I don't need anything from them, I own a house in another city. If I ever want another rent house, I can easily get one.

I would never give their name as a reference, they are a$$hats, and have been since day one.
Example: My rent is due on the 1st, and past due on the 5th. They consider each time I paid the rent on the 2nd as a "late payment".
Example: When I moved in, there was no hot water in the shower/tub in the second bathroom. When I called for a repair, they told me that I didn't need that bathroom "because one person doesn't need two bathrooms".

If they wanted my cooperation, they should have thought of that before they acted like jerks for 4 years.
Frankly you sound like a PITA tenant to me. I have followed this thread and do not believe you are being completely honest, which mean most of the advice you received is going to be incorrect to some degree. But, I'll bet there are lot of things in your life that are wrong, off or somebody else's fault.

DC

atomizer

Example: My rent is due on the 1st, and past due on the 5th. They consider each time I paid the rent on the 2nd as a "late payment"

Your LL is correct. It appears that your problems with your LL stem from you being a chronic late rent payer.

Your LL was wrong in not fixing the tub. When you pay rent you are paying for the complete use of the rental. Though I don't see why you would want to use two tubs when living alone.

Lynda99

Paying on the 2nd when rent is past due on the 5th makes me a chronic late rent payer?

This board is nothing but a bunch of fkn landlords grinding their own axe.

I would caution any tenant to not believe anything they read on here, most of the information is incorrect.

atomizer

Paying on the 2nd when rent is past due on the 5th makes me a chronic late rent payer?

This board is nothing but a bunch of fkn landlords grinding their own axe.

I would caution any tenant to not believe anything they read on here, most of the information is incorrect.

OP, do your own research and then apologize for our ignorance. Oh, please include the links and websites of where your info came from.

So you will explain a four year gap in renting by saying that you have lived in your property in another city for 4 years or more. But should the LL run a background/credit check he will find the location of that gap and wonder why it was not included.

Suggestion: stay away from large rental companies.

Last edited:

Lynda99

So you will explain a four year gap in renting by saying that you have lived in your property in another city for 4 years or more. But should the LL run a background/credit check he will find the location of that gap and wonder why it was not included.
I own a house in a small town, which is my homestead. I rent a house in the city where I have a business. My mortgage is on my credit report. Where's the gap?

As for you, DEBTCOLLECTOR, I don't give a FF about your opinion, you're a bottom feeder.

Once again, I caution Tenants that many of these people on this board are not on your side, they're landlords and "debtcollectors".

Proserpina

I own a house in a small town, which is my homestead. I rent a house in the city where I have a business. My mortgage is on my credit report. Where's the gap?

As for you, DEBTCOLLECTOR, I don't give a FF about your opinion, you're a bottom feeder.

Once again, I caution Tenants that many of these people on this board are not on your side, they're landlords and "debtcollectors".

And you, my dear, are a disgruntled tenant wanting to grind an ax.

Who's Liable?

I like how she admits the rent is due on the 1st, and past due on the 5th, but doesn't think consistently paying between the 2nd and 5th makes her a chronic late payer.

This is like watching the clown car at the circus... Good laughs...

Lynda99

If you think that someone who pays the rent on the 2nd is like a clown car, full of laughs, you seriously need to get a life. Sad to think that a boring thread on the Internet could be so much fun for someone

Ask your typical landlord if they will take a tenant, forever, who sometimes pays on the 2nd, takes perfect care of the house, and calls less than once a year for any repair, and see what they say.

You say nobody wants that, that paying on the 2nd=bad tenant? Then you are a liar and an idiot, one of many on this board.

TigerD

You say nobody wants that, that paying on the 2nd=bad tenant? Then you are a liar and an idiot, one of many on this board.
Paying on the second during any two months of your lease at one of my properties will result in your rent increasing $150 a month. And at the end of your lease term, your rent will increase a minimum of an additional 50 percent.

It if is due on the first. You are late on the second. Period.

If I don't have it by the third, I start eviction proceedings.

So, yes. You are a bad tenant.

DC

atomizer

If you think that someone who pays the rent on the 2nd is like a clown car, full of laughs, you seriously need to get a life. Sad to think that a boring thread on the Internet could be so much fun for someone

Ask your typical landlord if they will take a tenant, forever, who sometimes pays on the 2nd, takes perfect care of the house, and calls less than once a year for any repair, and see what they say.

I also have a 5 day notice whereby the tenant is not assessed late fees until the 6th. Paying on the second is considered late. I start evictions on the 6th. Though I don't make a fuss about late payers, I don't give good referrals and do not recommend these late payers to other landlords that inquire about their paying habits. I know your type and also know that you are a looser that like most, blame others for all your problems. Sadly, this kind of drama will follow you wherever you go.

You better familiarize yourself with all the information that included in a credit report.

Awakener

Case law

You may find this excerpt from the following link helpful in seeing through all the psychological intimidation at play:

Landlord/Tenant Supplement Pt.1

Absent express language in the lease to the contrary, the law implies a promise by the landlord that the tenant will have peaceful, quiet enjoyment and use of the premises through the term of the lease, HYM Restaurants, Inc. v. Goldman Sachs & Co., 797 S.W.2d 326 (Tex. App. -- Houston [14th Dist.] 1990, writ denied), and that the premises will be exclusively for the use of the tenant.

A breach of the tenant's right to the exclusive use of the premises is called a trespass (and, if material, it entitles the tenant to terminate the lease). The tenant may also recover damages caused by the trespass. Clark v. Sumner, 559 S.W.2d 914 (Tex. Civ. App.--Waco 1977, no writ)(landlord allowed dog to enter tenant's dwelling which violated covenant).

Another action that should be considered is an action for forcible entry. But the right to exclusive use can be partially waived in the lease to allow the landlord reasonable entries without being in violation of the covenant. See HYM Restaurants, 797 S.W.2d 326.

Many landlords ignore the basic tenant right of exclusive use and quiet enjoyment, and enter the apartment at will without even knocking first. Unfortunately, the tenant has the right to terminate for only the most severe and permanent violations.

The tenant may request that the landlord install a keyless deadbolt on any door, at the tenant's expense, which will at least prevent any entries while the tenant is at home.

Tex. Prop. Code SS 92.157.

Another legal remedy that may be available to discourage the landlord and compensate the tenant for improper entries is the tort of invasion of privacy. Prosser has determined there are four categories contained within the tort, including "an intrusion upon the plaintiff's seclusion or solitude, or into his private affairs." W. Prosser, Handbook of the Law of Tom SS 117 (4th ed. 1971); Gonzales v. Southwestern Bell Tel. Co., 555 S.W.2d 219, 221 (Tex. Civ. App. --Corpus Christi 1977, no writ).

The Texas Supreme Court announced in Billings v. Atkinson, 489 S.W.2d 858, 859 (Tex. 1973), that every citizen has a right of privacy defined as "the right to be left alone, [and] to live a life of seclusion ... " There is no indication that the Court intended to excuse landlords from respecting the right to privacy held by tenants. The Court also noted that proof of actual damages in not necessary to a recovery. "Damages for mental suffering are recoverable without the necessity of showing actual physical injury in a case of willful invasion of the right of privacy because the injury is essentially mental and subjective, not actual harm done to the plaintiff's body." 489S.W.2d at 859.

Finally, severe intrusions by the landlord could also constitute a deceptive trade practice actionable under the DTPA. Tex. Bus. & Corn. Code SS 17.41, et seq.

Landlords have a right to inspect their property periodically and at reasonable times, or to make routine or requested repairs on the dwelling during reasonable times (especially if advance notice is given). The key word is reasonable. These entries must be reasonable and must not interfere with a tenant's right of privacy and enjoyment of the premises.

atomizer

Nice, but the fact remains that OP refuses to let anyone show the house while she is not in it "period". She is actively denying the landlord of his rights to show the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">