• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we change the locks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

christine2448

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hi everyone!

We own a commercial building w/approx. 20 tenants. We have one tenant who is really giving us problems....using more space then allowed, never pays rent on time, blah blah blah.

On April 17 we gave him a notice of lease termination allowing him 30 days to move. He hasn't packed a thing and is still there, we rec'd no rent for the month of May...yesterday we spoke to him and he said he would be out by the end of the month and we could have his security deposit for this months rent....we showed him his lease and he has no deposit. He is behind on rent and late fees from previous late payments. We decide we can 'eat' the $2000 or so he now owes and and just let him leave on the last day of month.

What if he doesn't? Can we change the locks?

Here is the main text of what we gave him on April 17:
Take notice, that pursuant to the provisions of your lease, paragraph #19 (Event of Default) and paragraph; # 20 (Remedies upon default), we have elected to terminate your lease as of April 17, 2006, reason being default of agreement-failure to pay rent and you are required to quit and deliver up possession of clean premise and keys on or before May 17, 2006, (30 days from this notice).

Thank you all so much for your advice in advance, we are newbies at this and are still really lost about so many things.

Kindest regards,
Christine

BelizeBreeze

christine2448 said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hi everyone!

We own a commercial building w/approx. 20 tenants. We have one tenant who is really giving us problems....using more space then allowed, never pays rent on time, blah blah blah.

On April 17 we gave him a notice of lease termination allowing him 30 days to move. He hasn't packed a thing and is still there, we rec'd no rent for the month of May...yesterday we spoke to him and he said he would be out by the end of the month and we could have his security deposit for this months rent....we showed him his lease and he has no deposit. He is behind on rent and late fees from previous late payments. We decide we can 'eat' the $2000 or so he now owes and and just let him leave on the last day of month.

What if he doesn't? Can we change the locks?

Here is the main text of what we gave him on April 17:
Take notice, that pursuant to the provisions of your lease, paragraph #19 (Event of Default) and paragraph; # 20 (Remedies upon default), we have elected to terminate your lease as of April 17, 2006, reason being default of agreement-failure to pay rent and you are required to quit and deliver up possession of clean premise and keys on or before May 17, 2006, (30 days from this notice).

Thank you all so much for your advice in advance, we are newbies at this and are still really lost about so many things.

Kindest regards,
Christine
Look up the word 'conversion' then you'll have your answer. If he is not out by the stated time and you are confident you have followed the state L/T laws to the letter, then evict his ass and sue him for costs plus unpaid rent.

christine2448

Thank you Belizebreeze for you response.

I have searched everywhere and can't figure out how to find the laws to read about for commercial landlord tenant in GA. I went on the site and searched and searched and just kind find the laws.

Can anyone help me with finding what the laws are?

I feel like a ditz!

EDIT....JUST FOUND IT :) :) :) :)

christine2448

OK....I think I have done enough research and now have learned, I CANNOT lock this tenant out....gotta do everything through the courts.

Thanks!
Christine

BelizeBreeze

;) ****************************...;) ******************************************************************************************************************************..;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">