• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can we evict?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SherryStyles4U

My mother had a tenant who has not paid any rent since july and only half of july's. Can we evict without getting a lawyer or going though court. This is in ohio she has took people to court before and they still didn't pay she would like to just get them out soon as possible cause they are not making any attemt to pay any rent.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

SherryStyles4U said:
My mother had a tenant who has not paid any rent since july and only half of july's. Can we evict without getting a lawyer or going though court. This is in ohio she has took people to court before and they still didn't pay she would like to just get them out soon as possible cause they are not making any attemt to pay any rent.
My response:

What good will it be for us to tell your mother anything when she doesn't follow through - - which is evidenced by your statement that she "took the people to court before and they still didn't pay" ?

The information that we give isn't for us - - we already know what to do. But, when we give information, it is expected that the writer will do something with the information. So, it doesn't sound like Mom will do anything now, either.

Either get an attorney to do this for your mother, or she can put up with what's going on.

IAAL

G

Gene Gayda

To amplify on what IAAL said.

You can evict without using a lawyer - but there are risks.

You CANNOT evict without using a court.

The eviction process in most states is fairly straightforward, but amazingly detailed. Goof up one detail and start over, after many months into the process.

If you have not previously taken the effort to join a landlord's organization (who would have trained you on the eviction process - see our Web site), you can try to do the eviction process, but don't be surprised when your case is thrown out because of some "technicality."

IAAL is perfectly correct - if you don't already know the process, hire a lawyer.

Good luck.

Gene

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">