• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you be evicted if you pay partial of the backrent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gates118

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NewYork

asking for a friend

They own $5,900 backrent and have till the 30th ( tommorow). I tried to help them but we only reached $4000. I am nervous for her, will the court still kick her out for not giving the full amount? or will they accept it and not evict her?

She been paying the rent since jan of this year and has a income for future payments.

I went to court with her and the judge allow more time, which is the 30th of this month.
Thanks

FlyingRon

Unless you are current, they most certainly can file for eviction and prevail. Note that even if they succeed in evicting her, she still owes all the rent.

Gates118

Unless you are current, they most certainly can file for eviction and prevail. Note that even if they succeed in evicting her, she still owes all the rent.
hey, what do you mean by current?

Also to add,

She tried programs for backrent but had bad luck and did not get the help.

I told her to maybe try asking for a payment agreement so she can pay the backrent slowly on top of the monthly rent.

she went back to the court and asked for a payment agreement with the judge but they denied her and and told her to make a payment as soon as possible , $4000,$5000, or all

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">