• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CANCELING LEASE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AARONG

Hi, someone had broken into my apt. through the front door and broke the deadbolt and stole over $8,000.00 dollars worth of music equiptment, luckly I had renters insurance and theyre settling the claim right now.
Ive showed the landlord the police report and she had made a copy of it and I ask her if there was any options of my roommate and I to break our lease early(rented for one year and on the 10th month)she had replyied that she had to talk to her "boss", i guess the person that is in charge of all apts. of that property name. So then a week past and she had still told me nothing on what her boss said, she was acually avoiding me, never returning my phone calls and never answering the phone at the office. And my roommate and I personally feel that we shouldnt have to continue paying any rent if we move our stuff out, nor should it have to go on our record. All my friends are saying that there is a tenant law that say I shouldnt have pay rent if I continue to stay.....plus Ive moved most of my stuff out already...So my question is, Can I cancel my lease without going on my record? And is it a good enough reason to not to pay rent still, because my roommate and I still dont feel safe with the door broken, and they still havent fixed the locks or the door. What should I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">