• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cannot contact landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cranda2

What is the name of your state? CO
I have a very unusual situation. My husband and I moved in to a rental property about 8 yrs. ago. The actual owner of the property had hired a 'property manager' who turned out to be a major con artist. We were under the impression that he owned the house when we moved in, and had a tentative agreement to trade home repair work for rent. Shortly after we moved in, he went back to prison for a year. when he got out, he showed up, demanding rent money since the mtg. co had been taking money from his accounts to cover it..... Anyway, we found the name and phone number for the true owner and we contacted her. We explained the whole situation and told her that the 'property manager' had ripped her off for about $5,000. for undone repairs. Throughout the conversation (both my husband and I spoke to her) she informed us that she had grown up in the house and had been severely molested and abused by her mother's boyfriend. The end result of that conversation was that we could consider the past year that we had been there as her christmas gift (it was in Dec.) to our family and we could go ahead and do whatever repairs were needed in exchange for some rent and she would get back with us after the first of that year. That was 7 years ago and we have never talked to her again! Over the years, I have left phone messages for her (at least 4 or 5) and about 2 years ago, the code enforcement was called to our house and they HAD to notify the owner. The officer got our stories and they coincided with what she had to say. We asked the officer to see about getting a phone number for her so that we could contact her. She replied 'No. Give me their number and I will contact them.' We never heard a word from her at that point either.
Now, here's where it gets good. This past Nov. the family and I packed up to drive to MI for Thanksgiving. The morning after we left, my neighbor calls to tell me that the fire dept. was still at my house, but they had the fire all put out!!! It was an electrical fire up in the attic. The house is in pretty bad shape structurally, but it can be remodelded. The same code enforcement officer from a few years ago was the one who had to condemn the house after the fire. He sent the owner all the paperwork and notices regarding the house, with a side note for her to PLEASE get in contact with either him or my husband and I. Again, we have not heard a single word from the woman. No one can even look at repairing the house or anything untill we talk to her.
My question is this, what do we do now? From all outward appearances, it's almost like she has abandoned the property (she is current on the taxes). Do we have any claim to the house that has been our home for nearly the last decade or do we just walk away from the whole situation? Believe me, we are well aware of the fact that she has provided us with a home for the last 8 years. We, in no way, want to screw her out of anything or make the situation difficult, but we would also like to go back home some day soon.

Last edited:

Cvillecpm

Taxes are current so she has not abandoned the property.

WHY DIDN'T YOU CHECK WITH TAX RECORDS/ASSESSOR'S OFFICE AS TO WHO OWNER IS? Tax bills are going somewhere to get paid.

You need to move and let her and her insurance company deal with the code enforcement and repairing/remodeling the home.

Get your stuff out, leave your keys on the kitchen counter along with your forwarding address.

Cranda2

I did check with the assessor's office ane I did find out who the owner is. That is how I contacted her in the first place.

What is the name of your state? CO
No one can even look at repairing the house or anything untill we talk to her.
My question is this, what do we do now? From all outward appearances, it's almost like she has abandoned the property (she is current on the taxes). Do we have any claim to the house that has been our home for nearly the last decade or do we just walk away from the whole situation?
No...you have no LEGAL claim to the house. Why would you? You've been living rent and mortgage free for the last 8 years.

You keep using the excuse that you can't call her and she won't call you. However, you said, you used the Assessor site to find out who/where she was. GO SEE HER. Otherwise, do as Cville says and just move on.

If she hasn't really cared about her property all these years(altho' I'm really surprised she's still paying the taxes on a home she doesn't profit from) do you really think she's going to take the check from the insurance company and put money into repairs? Doubtful.

If the house isn't liveable, it's time to find somewhere else to live. You are going to have a hard time tho' since you have not paid any rent in 8 years. I hope the rest of your credit is excellent. With all the rent you've saved in 8 years you should have been able to save for a downpayment on a home of your own.

Cranda2

You keep using the excuse that you can't call her and she won't call you. However, you said, you used the Assessor site to find out who/where she was. GO SEE HER.
I can't just GO SEE HER. She lives in CA and I live in CO!!!!

I don't expect her to put any money into repairing the house. My husband is a carpenter and the building materials will cost him next to nothing. Yes, we have been living there rent free, but we have also put alot of our own money into the property. There were substantial repairs that have been made over the years. And since that was a part of our initial agreement, we've kept to our end of it. It's really not our fault that she never bothered to collect any rent! It's not like we have screwed her over or taken advantage of her. I just was wondering if we had any say as to if she has the place torn down or not. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to take on a mortgage loan.

Last edited:

Hot Topic

I think that one of these days you're in for a big shock. She'll decide to sell the property. You apparently didn't have anything in writing about improvements, so you're probably going to get a cheery, "Good luck with your new home. The people I sold the property to are going to love the improvements you made."

acmb05

I can't just GO SEE HER. She lives in CA and I live in CO!!!!

I don't expect her to put any money into repairing the house. My husband is a carpenter and the building materials will cost him next to nothing. Yes, we have been living there rent free, but we have also put alot of our own money into the property. There were substantial repairs that have been made over the years. And since that was a part of our initial agreement, we've kept to our end of it. It's really not our fault that she never bothered to collect any rent! It's not like we have screwed her over or taken advantage of her. I just was wondering if we had any say as to if she has the place torn down or not. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to take on a mortgage loan.
You have however been putting the rent into a separate account just in case she ever did come to collect though right? This should give you a sizeable amount for a nice down payment

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">