• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't find my landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dr_potato

What is the name of your state (Maryland)

I has been living here for 3 years. I had signed lease for the pass 2 years, but this year I didn't sign any lease. the landlord is in military, and they are overseas right now. Our communication based on email, and I don't have their oversea address. At the end of last month I send them a email asking for the unity bills. I did not hear anything from them for three weeks, so I decide to move out. I send them both email and certified mail to give them a 30 days notice, but somehow the certified mail stop at post office in Baltimore, and I did not hear anything from landlord either.

My questions are:
1. What do I do if no one come to check the room and collect the keys when I move out?
2. Is it ok for me to just give a 30 days notice and move out like this? (I know I need to send a certified mail to the landlord and I did, but the mail stop at somewhere in Baltimore as I mentioned earlier.)

FarmerJ

have you searched using landlords name to learn who LL might be related to ( incase LL has died while on active duty ? you might be able to find a relative who can relay for you a message to LL say like a parent ) reason being is that it would be reasonable of you to take steps to turn water off and drain water lines inc bleeding them out with air compressor (and using shop vac on toilet bowl and tank or adding RV antifreeze so the J traps (shower-tub, sinks , toilet ) do not freeze and then do not just shut off the heat but set it no lower than 38-40 if the thermostat goes that low) returning keys , when you do move , confirmed mail delivery will work .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">