• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't Open ANY windows

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

powerske

What is the name of your state? LA, Baton Rouge

Hi,
Not one of the windows in my house opens; they're old windowns on the rope pull that have been dismantled and/or painted shut. I try not to think of what would happen during a fire. Is this legal in LA? Also, I've asked the landlord for some screen doors to at least let some fresh air in, to no avail. They said we were welcome to do it ourselves, when we realized we didn't have the tools to do so, tried to get a guy in the neighborhood to do it, but she claimed he cost too much and verbally promised that they'd give us some. Now, she's refusing and saying if it's that big of a deal, then why don't we look for a new place.

Cvillecpm

Most dwellings with AC don't have windows that open. You can get a cheap screen door and install it yourself or have Lowes or Home Depot do it....If the unit had no screens when you rented it, your landlord is not responsible for installing them for you.

If you carefully go around the edges of those painted shut windows with a razor knife or a putty knife, it may free up the window. It will be heavy to lift without the rope and pulleys to counterbalance the weight. And if you want them to stay open you will need to prop them open with a wood block or dowel, as they won't stay open on their own. I've run across this many times in old houses. After painting the windows several times, they actually are painted shut. Sometimes I even had to use a special heavy duty window tool (usually used for putting in new puty around the panes - called a 4 way) and a hammer. I don't suggest you do this as you will have to replace any window you break or any frame you damage. But do try to open one in your bedroom for safety.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">