• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cant trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jgray5589

Me and my father rent a house and the landlord told us before we moved in we can work on cars now he is saying we are not allowed cause his insurance agent will not allow us and our garage is only for storage. Also since we have moved in we have not been allowed to park our trailer on proberty with out his permission and he has a back room that is on the back side of our garage with a seperare door, which he has ran electric from garage to back room abd water from our outside faucet to the back room where he has been staying for the past few months using our water and our electricty to power his "office" and is always on proerty everyday of the week and weekend and parking his vehicles. Is any of this legal

LdiJ

Me and my father rent a house and the landlord told us before we moved in we can work on cars now he is saying we are not allowed cause his insurance agent will not allow us and our garage is only for storage. Also since we have moved in we have not been allowed to park our trailer on proberty with out his permission and he has a back room that is on the back side of our garage with a seperare door, which he has ran electric from garage to back room abd water from our outside faucet to the back room where he has been staying for the past few months using our water and our electricty to power his "office" and is always on proerty everyday of the week and weekend and parking his vehicles. Is any of this legal
Its not inherently illegal but it may be a violation of your lease.

BL

What is written between the 4 corners of your signed lease regarding the rental property or parts thereof?

What is written into the lease about car repairs?

What kind of trailer are you referring to ?

FarmerJ

Do you have a written lease or are you month to month renter ? and lastly did your LL write in the lease that you pay the utilities for the space he uses or if there is no lease then did he tell you about it before you moved in? ( as far as working on cars If its repairing for other people then it actually may be your city who is the one that will not permit a repair business there. If its just repairing your own vehicles then unless you have a written lease that says you cant even repair your own vehicles then your LL cant just pull that one out of the sky.

jgray5589

We were never told about him using the garage and im not sure if its in the paperwork myself but my father says its not. And we are month to month. The vehicle isnt mine but im not getting paid for it, there is no profit and the owner of the car helps with it so would that still be a problem? And the LL keeps all his junk and stuff outside of the garage like ladders and other miscellanious and goes into our part of the garage without permission.

BL

We were never told about him using the garage and im not sure if its in the paperwork myself but my father says its not. And we are month to month. The vehicle isnt mine but im not getting paid for it, there is no profit and the owner of the car helps with it so would that still be a problem? And the LL keeps all his junk and stuff outside of the garage like ladders and other miscellanious and goes into our part of the garage without permission.
I take it ,the Landlord does not reside on the property ?

At any rate often time there is a Landlord ,for what ever reason , does not disclose the goings on with the rental as they really are and it's only time the tenant finds out and there are issues .

Having said that , the rental is for month to month .

A letter could be sent to the Landlord advising you have use to the property to pay rent for , and you pay utilities and did/do not give the landlord permission to use parts thereof.

Then it's a LL does not give you permission - this -n-that, AND the LL may give proper notice to terminate your month to month rental.

So, weigh the aggregation of the LL use of the garage and amount of utilities against a possible notice to vacate.

About the other vehicle. Since it's not registered to you tenants it could be an issue.

You did not mention what kind of trailer.

FarmerJ

Id suggest just planning on moving Reasons being 1 your landlord failed to disclose to you that you pay for utilities in space that you don't have full control of or use of. 2 the landlord failed to disclose to you that you will share the garage and yard with him. You don't really have to tell him any of this if you give proper written notice once you find another place and as far as working on cars If your not in a business then Id say to tell the LL to go bite the big one once you have given written notice sent to him via confirmed mail delivery that your going to move. DO take plenty of pictures now of the homes wear and tear and general conditions since you haven't lived there that long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">