• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car stolen from garage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jamwcca

What is the name of your state? California
My apartment building sits atop a parking garage with a secure entrance and exit gate. The gate has been propped open the last several days (they tell me they're waiting for it to be fixed).
My car was stolen from inside the garage 2 nights ago. Fortunately it was recovered hours later. The car's ignition was popped out and hot wired, but that's the only damage I can see (so far).
My insurance is covering the cost of the repairs to the car. I've had to rent another car for transportation, insurance covers 80% of that. I've also had to take several hours off work filing police reports and driving to a town 20 miles away to recover the vehicle.
Does the landlord have an obligation to reimburse me for the balance of the car rental, my time off work, and any other out-of-pocket expenses on my part? Also is there a way to lagally force the landlord to fix the gate so this doesn't happen again?

C

CaliCat

That's like asking if I could force my landlord to be responsible for my car, personal property, sitting in the driveway of the place we're renting. Can I force him to put up a fence or be responsible for my personal property?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">