• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Carpet cleaning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WIS

What is the name of your state? Alaska

I have been using a lease from a landlord who is also a real estate agent. The lease says that tenants are responsible for carpet cleaning and have to submit a copy of the receipt or it can be taken out of the deposit. However, I have since read in the Alaska Landlord Tenant Act

_ Dry cleaning draperies, shampooing carpets, and
washing walls are major cleaning tasks that cannot be
charged against a tenant_s security deposit if the tenant
fails to perform these tasks at the termination of the
tenancy. A landlord must expect that any property in
which people live will need walls, carpets and drapes
cleaned before another tenant rents the property.
Withholding a tenant_s security deposit for such tasks
would be holding a tenant responsible for normal,
nonabusive living, in violation of the Landlord and
Tenant Act. 71

So... was/is the lease I'm using illegal? Can I stipulate carpet cleaning in my lease? I guess I was just surprised that the real estate agent/landlord would knowingly have an illegal clause in her lease.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Alaska landlord

You can charge your tenants for all of the above, provided that they actually did cause damages. Dirt is not normal wear-n-tear and you can deduct the cost of carpet cleaning from the tenants SD But, you cannot charge for the above automatically. For example I just had a tenant move out today. The walls have several huge black spots where their TV was. They will be charged for the cost of repainting that wall. Actually for some unknown reason the same spots appear elsewhere in that room so I will be charging for painting the whole room. The carpets are also filthy and that too will be deducted from their SD. I take photos before and after every rental as proof of condition before renting in the event I should have to justify my deductions.

Cvillecpm

DIRT is NEVER normal wear and tear...yes, landlord's can charge for work if the work was not done.

Having the departing resident provide PROOF that the carpet was professionally cleaned is the EASIEST and BEST way to eliminate this problem...residents to clean the carpet themselves and do a poor job, risk the landlord doing it AGAIN professionally (usually to eliminate stickyness due to over use of soap).

JustAPal00

I think that law means when you vacate the property the landlord can't automatically bill you for carpet cleaning. If you leave the carpets filthy then you can expect to be charged, if you clean them prior to moving out then he is not allowed to bill you. I would doubt that he can make you provide a receipt for your cleaning. I would think he could only bill you if they appear dirty. If you are one of those people who don’t wear shoes inside, or you decide to rent a cleaner and do it yourself, I would take lots of pictures when you move out incase you need them in court.

Alaska, FYI, those dark spots on the wall are where elctronic equipment has been sitting. The static charge from these types of things (TVs, stereos, computers, etc.) sitting close to the wall attacts dirt to the area. Seen it many times. If only tenants would leave a couple inches behind these items it wouldn't happen. Oh, well...

Does the Alaska LL-tenant law actually say that you can't charge them for cleaning their dirt from walls & carpet? I wouldn't want to own property there if it does. There would be no incentive for a tenant to ever keep his walls or carpet looking nice. They could track in mud without worry.

Alaska landlord

Does the Alaska LL-tenant law actually say that you can't charge them for cleaning their dirt from walls & carpet? I wouldn't want to own property there if it does. There would be no incentive for a tenant to ever keep his walls or carpet looking nice. They could track in mud without worry.
Yes it's in the state booklet. I think the key word is abusive. I have never had any problem charging for these items.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">