• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Carpet cleaning/normal wear & tear/Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

ThePhoenix

Lease states (Ohio) upon moving out, we either have carpets professionally cleaned, or landlord will deduct $75 from security deposit. Can he do this automatically if the carpets aren't dirtier than normal wear and tear? Isn't this considered an "uncontionable agreement" (stating in lease that he can charge for cleaning of carpets even if carpets are normal wear & tear)? We've only lived here for 1 year and the carpets were brand new when we moved in.

H

happylucky

well the phoenix:

YOU have 2 DAWGS what do you expect?

You think you are going to get out of this cheaply?

With 2 DAWGS..... $75 is the cheapest i've seen you should be steam cleaning the carpet every 2 or 3 months OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET! Just to cover you asssss.

Lets just see if they try and keep your deposit for your DAWGS! The carpet being one year old doesnt matter, its the DAWG smell.

You might get lucky and then you might not....

Consider the $75 as a cost of owning DAWGS!

T

ThePhoenix

Can you read??

First of all, happylucky...you should change your name...you are quite rude and offensive. Secondly, where in my message did you read that I have two dogs?? Can you read english or is does the word "dog" automatically send you into a pathological frenzy. Let me try again with you, ok? I have a 4 lb teacup Chihuahua. He's kept in the basement which has a cement floor when I'm not home and is with me otherwise. I can assure you that even YOUR nose, which seems to be quite sensitive I expect, would absolutely smell NO dog in my house. I shampoo my dog 2 times per month. My cat is also shampooed 2 times per month. I resent you assuming that my house smells because I have two animals living with me! Are you a lawyer...for real? I'm just curious. Anyway, I can see that this was a total waste of time and will not be hoping to get any rational professional advice. I guess the old saying is right after all...you get what you pay for. You're the "Dr. Laura" of lawyers...and you're really annoying.
Besides, as I read Ohio landlord tenant law, a security deposit is for DAMAGES, nothing else, regardless of your phobias about animals.
For your information, my roommate and I put over $2000 of our OWN money into this house we are RENTING. How dare you ask me if I'm going to "get out of this cheaply!" Everything has been updated from fixtures, walls, floors, and windows. If ANYTHING, this house has been RAISED in value since we've lived here. I can assure you that this house is in EXTREMELY better condition after using moving out than before we moved in. We have pictures to prove it. My question, which I can see now was a little more difficult to answer than I assumed, was, again, "can the landlord automatically deduct money from a security deposit for normal wear and tear?" I think we've put quite enough MONEY into this house as it is. At this point, I really don't trust your judgement or professionalism, so I'll pass on your response...although I'm sure you'll have PLEANTY to say to me...you're quite the hot head. If there are any other lawyers that may comment on this, I'd appreciate a level headed response.
Good day and peace and love to all animal lovers :)

H

happylucky

OHHHH boyzzzzz!!!!

You stupidly spent $2000 of your own money on the landlord"s property and you are worried about a lousy $75 ?????????

YOU have NO claim to the upgrades.....the landlord didnt authorize it, and dont even think you are going to get any of it back.

So pay the $75 and quit griping, its only money which you seem to have more then you need!

PS: I have 3 cats!!!

T

ThePhoenix

Listen here, you half wit. EVERYTHING was authorized by the landlord. I'm asking about $75 dollars because of the principle of thing issue. Sort of the same reason I'm wasting my time talking to someone who has clear mental problems and expecting to get my point accross...the principle of it. Honey, you've got BIG problems and I think you need some help. By the way, for the record, you're a real "female dog."

H

happylucky

If the $75 is in the lease then you have to pay it.......

Thank you, or in dog speak:
woof woof....

PS Damages can include dog, cat AND cigarette smells!

T

ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix said:
Listen here, you half wit. EVERYTHING was authorized by the landlord. I'm asking about $75 dollars because of the principle of thing issue. Sort of the same reason I'm wasting my time talking to someone who has clear mental problems and expecting to get my point accross...the principle of it. Honey, you've got BIG problems and I think you need some help. By the way, for the record, you're a real "female dog."
"Never attribute to malice what can be better accounted for by sheer stupidity!"

T

ThePhoenix

Don't forget "skank" smells...I'm sure you're intimately familiar with the term.
PS-I don't smoke

L

lildevil719

$75 for carpet repairs

If the landlord put in the lease that you either have to have the carpets proffessionally cleaned or he/she most definitely DOES have the right to take the $75 from your security deposit. Your best bet would be to look in your local want ads and find a company offering a deal. Sometimes you can find a company that will do five rooms for 59.95. But in response to your question, yes, he can take the money, regardless of whether it's only wear and tear or not, because it's in your lease. I hope that helps!

L

lissa032

If I were you, I would agree to have him take the $75.00 and be happy about it. I had carpets cleaned in an apartment (the tenants had a small dog) and the cost was $365.55. Even though the dog may be small, they still deposite body odors and oils on the carpet. A simple cleaning won't get that out. You need to sanitize AND seal to make sure the smell is out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">