• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Carpet Depreciation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brokenwindow

What is the name of your state? KS
What is the standard rate of depreciation on carpeting? I moved into an apartment 10 months ago and the carpet was fairly old and worn at move in. I noted this in my inspection form. Since then the probelms that I noted have gotten worse and worse I know that I will probably be held responsible for some of the damage but what kind of depreciation rate is standard with carpeting? Basically the damage is fraying at the edges small stains that where there when I moved in and also a couple of new stains. In total if I were to have the oppurtunity to do it again I would not have moved in without them replacing the carpet but since I did and I know that is has been over five years since the carpet was replaced I am curious how much they could actually charge to fix the problem?
Thanks for any reply.
PS someone told me that carpetting depreciates at a rate of like 25% every year is that true?
Thanks

HomeGuru

brokenwindow said:
What is the name of your state? KS
What is the standard rate of depreciation on carpeting? I moved into an apartment 10 months ago and the carpet was fairly old and worn at move in. I noted this in my inspection form. Since then the probelms that I noted have gotten worse and worse I know that I will probably be held responsible for some of the damage but what kind of depreciation rate is standard with carpeting? Basically the damage is fraying at the edges small stains that where there when I moved in and also a couple of new stains. In total if I were to have the oppurtunity to do it again I would not have moved in without them replacing the carpet but since I did and I know that is has been over five years since the carpet was replaced I am curious how much they could actually charge to fix the problem?
Thanks for any reply.
PS someone told me that carpetting depreciates at a rate of like 25% every year is that true?
Thanks
**A: there is no set rate for physical depreciation covered in the L/T law. I believe the rate that you stated may be from the IRS for tax purposes.

Last edited:

brokenwindow

thanks for the reply

HomeGuru thank you for the response. That answers most of my question but the part that I am still confused about is how would a landlord decide how much carpetting is worth? If the landlord decided that the carpet needed to be replaced would they be able to charge me for the full cost of new carpetting?

brokenwindow

Anyone????

Can anyone give me a guess here?????? I am really afraid that when I move out at the end of my lease that the apartment complex is going to try to charge me for the cost of replacing the carpet....which was in less then good shape before I moved in. Does anyone even have anywhere that I could look for more information?
Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.

BL

Have you thought about getting an Estimate for cleaning the carpet, to see if the stains can be removed and the carpet cleaned ?

At the time of the Estimate perhaps the Carpet cleaning Co. can give you an idea in writing on your estimate .

Some of these Co.s also replace Carpets,so they would have an idea .

If the Carpet is fraying on the edges and not damage from you,it is considered Normal wear & tear.

HomeGuru

Re: Anyone????

brokenwindow said:
Can anyone give me a guess here?????? I am really afraid that when I move out at the end of my lease that the apartment complex is going to try to charge me for the cost of replacing the carpet....which was in less then good shape before I moved in. Does anyone even have anywhere that I could look for more information?
Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.
**A: please state exactly what was stated as to the condition of the carpet as noted on the move-in inspection form. Was this form signed by both you and the landlord?

brokenwindow

I will reply with that information as soon as I can get it.

Thank you HomeGuru for your further assistance I will reply with that information as soon as I can get a copy of that form. I don't beleive I was given a copy when I moved in. Thanks again for the continued assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">