• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Carpet Replacement Cost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobnelson

State is Georgia.

We moved out of rental property we lived in for 2 years. There is approximately 4 square inches of damage to the carpet from the cats picking at the corners of the doors. The landlord says the only fix is to replace the carpet, which we don't necesarilly dispute.

The carpet being replaced is 11 years old and of a decent quality (if it were new). However it is 11 year old carpet. It cleans up nice, but within a month its not all that nice. Based on my research we are only responsible for the value of 11 year old carpet. If it lives to be say 15 years we are responsible for the remaining 4 year sof life. And if he were to get 20 years out of it (optimistic in my opinion) that leaves us up for half of the value.

Is this a correct way to valuate the carpet?

BL

bobnelson said:
State is Georgia.

We moved out of rental property we lived in for 2 years. There is approximately 4 square inches of damage to the carpet from the cats picking at the corners of the doors. The landlord says the only fix is to replace the carpet, which we don't necesarilly dispute.

The carpet being replaced is 11 years old and of a decent quality (if it were new). However it is 11 year old carpet. It cleans up nice, but within a month its not all that nice. Based on my research we are only responsible for the value of 11 year old carpet. If it lives to be say 15 years we are responsible for the remaining 4 year sof life. And if he were to get 20 years out of it (optimistic in my opinion) that leaves us up for half of the value.

Is this a correct way to valuate the carpet?
It depends entirely on the quality of the carpet . 11 years old A judge just might not hold you responsible at all .

You should get a couple of estimates from licensed carpet installers and have them note the condition and professional opinion on the carpet that isn't chewed up .

Then go from there .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">