• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ceiling Fan - normal wear and tear or damage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ERE8

Does a broken ceiling fan pull cord constitute normal wear and tear for which the landlord would be responsible, or is it considered damage that the tenant will have to pay for? The cord was pulled out during the course of normal use (i.e. it was not yanked or pulled with excessive force).

I could not find this situation listed on any of the websites that listed "normal wear and tear" vs. "damage". This occurred in Illinois, if it makes a difference. Thank you!

JETX

Does a broken ceiling fan pull cord constitute normal wear and tear for which the landlord would be responsible, or is it considered damage that the tenant will have to pay for? The cord was pulled out during the course of normal use (i.e. it was not yanked or pulled with excessive force).
Toss a coin. Arguments can be made for both sides. How old was the fan??

ncpropmgr

The answer to your question is simple: Did you report the broken pull to your landlord when it happened? If so, they would have probally fixed it for you with no hassle. Since you broke something and let it go...yes you are responsible. If it was your ceiling fan and you pulled the pull off you would replace it, so you damaged the ceiling fan, pay to repair it.

ERE8

To answer some questions that were asked:

The tenant reported that the cord came out to the landlord as soon as it happened. However, the two do not have a "normal" tenant/landlord relationship. The tenant and landlord are friends, and share a two-bedroom apartment. One owns the condo, and so acts as landlord to the other. Because the landlord is not a property manager, she does not have a handyman on staff who can fix simple things like this - when something happens, she has to hire someone specifically to come in. The incident occurred and was reported about six months ago, and because summer is approaching, this is the first time the landlord has addressed fixing the fan. Now the two are in dispute about who's responsibility it is to pay for the repair. The tenant argues that because she pulled out the cord during the course of normal use, it would be considered "wear and tear", and the landlord should pay to have it repaired. The landlord argues that pulling out the chain constitutes "damage", and the tenant should pay for the repair. They are both committed to resolving the issue amicably, which is why they're seeking outside opinions on the matter.

There is no way to know how old the fan is without contacting the previous condo owner, which the landlord is not willing to do.

Alaska landlord

Ceiling fans are a constant problem in rental situations. I have pulled them out of my units when I first came across them. No fan = no broken fan calls. Tenant and landlord should split the cost as it is an easy fix and should not cost more than 40 bucks to fix including cost of switch.

FarmerJ

It really isnt hard to fix , go to a home depot , lowes, menards etc lighting dept and ask them if they have a pamphlet on how to change the pull switch, IF they do , read it , if you still feel you cannot do this your selfs use local phone book or newspaper ads call a handy man service. Replacing the switch is not the same as a new install It is a swap, Unless local code forbids anyone but a lic electrican to do swaps then the use of a handyman service should do it. Other wise use the services of a electrician.

MIRAKALES

This is really very petty and insignificant… of no consequence to anyone!
This is a neither a LL and tenant matter or a premise damage issue. It is a simple fan chain pull or fan socket connection that needs repair. It can be replaced by adolescents. If a homeowner cannot replace a chain pull or socket, then hire a handyperson (or take it to the hardware store and let them fix it). But please do not create issues about non-issues! To answer the question… it is damage if the chain pull hold is found intact during repair… it is normal wear and tear (maybe) if the chain pull is found worn or cracked during repair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">