• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

certified mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alishia_2002

:mad: What is the name of your state?Maryland
I sent my rental agreement to my land lord certified mail. My land lord told me i'm responsible for any late charges if it arrives after the due date because she isn't home to sign for the letter. I was wondering if I was responsible for any late fee since I sent it certified mail, the postmaster said it will arrive there the next day. 5 days before the due date. She yelled at me and told me she didn't have time to pick it up at the post office if she isn't there to sign for it. I felt it was the responsible thing to do because I didn't want $1200 to get lost in the mail or arrive late. Am I at wrong for acting responsible?

seniorjudge

alishia_2002 said:
:mad: What is the name of your state?Maryland
I sent my rental agreement to my land lord certified mail. My land lord told me i'm responsible for any late charges if it arrives after the due date because she isn't home to sign for the letter. I was wondering if I was responsible for any late fee since I sent it certified mail, the postmaster said it will arrive there the next day. 5 days before the due date. She yelled at me and told me she didn't have time to pick it up at the post office if she isn't there to sign for it. I felt it was the responsible thing to do because I didn't want $1200 to get lost in the mail or arrive late. Am I at wrong for acting responsible?
I think you did the right thing but could you not have personally delivered the check?

Of course, had it been lost, then she'd been yelling at you for NOT sending it certified.

Next time, you might send it certified and just ask for a trace receipt showing that it had been delivered. No one has to sign for it.

There are magic words you have to use at the post office to make them understand that this is what you want but the words I use never seem to work so I have to convince them that they do indeed offer such a service.

alishia_2002

seniorjudge said:
I think you did the right thing but could you not have personally delivered the check?

Of course, had it been lost, then she'd been yelling at you for NOT sending it certified.

Next time, you might send it certified and just ask for a trace receipt showing that it had been delivered. No one has to sign for it.

There are magic words you have to use at the post office to make them understand that this is what you want but the words I use never seem to work so I have to convince them that they do indeed offer such a service.
Thing is my land lord was over on the 31st and we have until the 5th to pay. I asked her to take it then and she said, "No, Mail it." That is exactly what I did. I mailed it. No I couldn't of dropped it at her house. I have no transportation for a good part of the day and she lives over 30 miles away from me and she works 2 hours away ontop of that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">