• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change to payment terms during lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

selby226

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I have a 1-year lease agreement on an apartment through a property management company. In my lease, it stipulated my monthly payments and how my payments were broken down through the life of my lease. The lease states something to the effect of "XX amount is due for the months of February 2010 to January 2011, with a final amount of XX due for January 1 through 20". The last month of payment for January was pro-rated, so the amount stated is not the full month's rent. I'm approaching the end of my lease, and now the property management company is claiming that the final amount from January 1 through 20 is different from what the lease agreement states. I know from the look of it that the agent didn't do her math right initially when she drafted up the lease agreement and is just now realizing it. But paying this new amount would seem to be in violation of our agreement. There was a requirement to initial next to the payment terms which to me seems my consent/agreement to those terms. Do I have legal standing to only have to pay the amount stipulated in the lease, even if it's their error? The difference in the amount has nothing to do with the security deposit or anything, they just flat out calculated wrong at the time of my lease agreement and are only now realizing it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">