• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charging for an excess water bill when the water is paid by landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lalfaro

My mother was told by her landlord to pay $3,000 bill because her toilet was found with a leak or move out. This bill is for a four unit complex not just hers, there is only one meter for the whole unit and they said they know for sure it was because of her toilet because they filmed the meeter movement before the fix and after the fix. The LL claims that we didn't give her proper notice for this leak and that's why we have to pay the bill. My lease states that landlord pays water, it also states that tenant has to pay for any repairs that have to be made because of the tenants negligence. Do I have to pay this bill? She threatened to take my mother to small claims court as well as file for an eviction. Should I get some legal representation?

Just Blue

My mother was told by her landlord to pay $3,000 bill because her toilet was found with a leak or move out. This bill is for a four unit complex not just hers, there is only one meter for the whole unit and they said they know for sure it was because of her toilet because they filmed the meeter movement before the fix and after the fix. The LL claims that we didn't give her proper notice for this leak and that's why we have to pay the bill. My lease states that landlord pays water, it also states that tenant has to pay for any repairs that have to be made because of the tenants negligence. Do I have to pay this bill? She threatened to take my mother to small claims court as well as file for an eviction. Should I get some legal representation?
U.S. Law Only.

Please have your mother, aka The Legal Party, sign up to post her issue with her state . Thanks

Blue:)

FarmerJ

Well then maybe you should make them sue you ! first here it might help you to know how often the city issued the water bills ? meaning is the LL claiming that this leak caused 3,000 .00 in bills for one billing period ? I doubt it but anyway there is no logical reason that they could not have found the leak sooner if they claim 3000.00 in one billing period, Ill lay odds that this toilet could have caused a 200.00 to a 400.00 increase if the bill was quarterly BUT not 3k and if the LL is attempting to get more than on billing period of use here they really need more proof like submetered readings ,Call that cities water dept and ask them in dollars approximately what a leak could cost per billing period ( and if they bill monthly or quarterly) Now so you know just because the lease said the LL was to pay that utility does not mean that a tenant can allow it to be wasted and yes with 4 apartments at any given moment it is impossible with out sub meters to individually show which apartment has used how much then the LL has to rely on other things but I would argue that simple video is not enough to justify 3k, this landlord can threaten eviction but courts are the ones to evict tenants and LLs options are to send notice to tenants telling them that they believe they have violated a lease and want the tenant to move out or they can choose to not renew a tenants lease and make sure the tenant has proper notice telling them to move out. ( don't be surprised if your mom still must move out due to LL refusing to renew) SO how long does the LL claim this went on ? if they had said anything about how long they think it went on ?

STEPHAN

Also, in most Cities you get significant credit if you have a water leak (sewer portion of the bill).

Has your mother lived there a long time?
Does she enjoy rent control as per a city ordinances that passed a number of years ago?
Did your mother/you know of a leek? the usual signs of leaky toilet would be the sound of the water reservoir continually being topped off despite no recent usage. any of that going on?

It wouldn't surprise me considering how the cost of housing has gone up threw the roof in the bay area as a whole it is possible the LL is trying to run your mother out of what is now a very very profitable piece of property

The laws have changed considerably in favor of the renter, bear in mind though the LL got a few in their favor as well.

As with the others I too would strongly suggest you seek council this is not a do it yourself project.
Good Luck!

..___________________
~ The difference between faith and insanity is that faith is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence,
whereas insanity is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence. ~ unknown

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">