• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charging extra money for using air conditioners?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

teakagirly

new jersey:
landlord sent a memo, that if we use the air conditioning, we will be charged an additional $ 25.00 per month for each unit used on top of our rent. Is that legal?

T

teakagirly

yes it was 30 here last night.

but when i went to their house to prove to them that the law states heat must be on from 10/1 thru 5/1, they handed me a rent increase letter(mind you, while the heat was still off)and included with the rent increase, it stated that they will be charging an extra $ 25.oo a month to use an air conditioner, during the summer, on top of the rent.

is it legal?

L

LL

If the rent increase is legal, then so is the extra charge for air conditioning.

Now, was going to the landlord to complain about the heat for a few weeks a good idea?

M

mary hartman

In new jersey It is ILLEGAL for a landlord to do that , a lease is a lease, PERIOD!

When he renews the lease then he can add it, and you can move it you dont want to pay it!

T

teakagirly

To Experienced LandLord from California:
Now, was going to the landlord to complain about the heat for a few weeks a good idea?

WHEN IT IS 30 DEGREES OUTSIDE AT NIGHT, WOULDNT YOU LIKE TO HAVE HEAT? you trying to tell me i shouldnt have educated him on the NJ Heat Law, and woke up in the morning w/icicles on my nose?

T

teakagirly

To Mary,

thanx for your response.

we dont have a lease, that is why i am asking. i'm not saying i am dead against it, i was just curious if it was legal.

M

mary hartman

With NO LEASE the landlord can do anything even raise your rent $1000 a month with a 30 day notice, so yes he can start charging the $25 extra starting JUNE 1st, if there are any air conditioners.

The 30 days start when you normally pay rent which would be May 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">