• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

chicago housing authority

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jamila12

What is the name of your state? illinois

i live in section a of chicago illinois housing authority, i have been a tenant for the past 10yrs, i live with several other family members. my name is on the lease but i am sublet (not responsible for anything on the premises). as of this past year my family and i have had some run-ins with the home office over our district. in august the housing authority decided to fix our homes, they've been up for quite some time, so a repair was due. home office hired outside contractors to come and work on the complex (several other familys live there as well). the workers did not start on our apartment for some time, they appeared to be using all their time and resources on the other residents, we complained because almost a month had passed and they hadn't touched our home (even though they were working on multiple houses at the same time). when they finally got to ours one or 2 people worked on the house they took their time tearing the place apart, and cared not to replace anything they had taken out, till the next week, we went without water in one of our washrooms for 3-4 days, and they were still working on the other. to make this story a little shorter we were in the right when we complained to the heads of cha, they hired a whole new staff to fix our apartment (professionals), they fired the entire staff of that districts main office. but now it seems they have been trying extra hard to get us evicted, from day one of the house repair incident. they now want a copy of anyone over 18's check stub (from their work), so that they can do a background check as well as a credit check. what does that have to do with my residing in the apartment? do they have the right to conduct such things after 10yrs? can this be justified as a retaliation against my family and i? i barely make 60dollars a week, and i'm in college, can they have me kicked out? im 20, i believe i do have good credit, i don't have any type of record... but i like my privacy, and don't appreciate being pushed around because of my financial status. please help!!!

dequeendistress

http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/programs/ph/index.cfm

Please check above

Also, the housing authority has the right to know the household composition of a family. In addition the housing authority is under the burden to assure that each resident of the housing authority meets the standards set by HUD and the housing authority. What does your lease tell you, the occupancy policy of the housing authority, what does it say...and it stands to reason if persons were working in your house and noticed several persons residing in the house, that maybe the housing authority was given the information and it did not match your reported household information.

Warning: Title 18 Section 1001 of the united states code, states that a person is guilty of a felony for knowingly and willingly making false or fraudulent statements to any department or agency of the united states..(this includes housing authorities)

If the housing authority is discriminating against you, in other words is not requiring any other residents to provide the same information they are requiring from you...possibly you have a case...if they are doing what is required of them and not discriminating then you have no case.

Maybe I think you are a public housing resident and you are not...I also see that you make $60 weekly and are a full time student? I do not think your income will count in rent calculation...but anyone over 18 who is not a dependent---ie student, or who does not meet another criteria to be exempt, their income will count for rental purpose...it would probably make more sense if I knew the whole story

Last edited:
J

jamila12

I am a resident

Its funny that you mention I might not be a tenant... my neighbors on both sides of me have people coming in and out of their homes (whom we know do not live there). I am indeed a resident of cha I am on the lease, that's why they have all of my information. I just don't deem it to be reasonable to be that involved in someone's personal information (credit checks, and background checks). If i were a tenant of someone other than the city, I'm sure they would not require all of that information, after i had been living in the complex for 10yrs. I don't know why their treating us this way.

dequeendistress

As far as I know ALL housing authorities require background checks on ALL residents of public housing. Also all require the information on household composition be reported. Do you have annual re-examinations? ALSO, if you know that your neighbors have boarders/lodgers did you report that to the main office? Is everyone living in your household listed on the lease at the CHA?

OK the Chicago Housing Authority has their occupancy and other policies available online.

go to http://www.thecha.org/transformplan/files/a&o_policy_with_attached_procedures_english.pdf

http://www.thecha.org/transformplan/policies_and_procedures.html

I just glanced thru it and Pages 9-11 address some of your questions along with the lease and the appendix b. If you have a problem downloading this let me know. You also have a grievance procedure you can follow..use it.

Last edited:
J

jamila12

thank you!!! i really appreciate your help. and everyone in my house is listed on the lease. and the only time i know them to check up on us is when my father notify's them about a new job/loss of a job. but thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">