• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cigarette smoke from other apartments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

parkcrest

PA. Is the landlord responsible for cigarette smoke that flows from one apartment to another apparently through the air ducts of a building? We do not designate non-smoking apartments.

ENASNI

parkcrest said:
PA. Is the landlord responsible for cigarette smoke that flows from one apartment to another apparently through the air ducts of a building? We do not designate non-smoking apartments.
Short answer.

No.

HappyHusband

parkcrest said:
I've lived in apartments where the deliciously stale cigarette smoke seeps in through the pipe holes in the walls under the sinks and radiators.
Some expansive foam-in-a-can worked wonders.
If it truly is the air ducts on a centralized heating system, you're screwed. When your lease is up, move.

Just Blue

HappyHusband said:
I've lived in apartments where the deliciously stale cigarette smoke seeps in through the pipe holes in the walls under the sinks and radiators.
Some expansive foam-in-a-can worked wonders.
If it truly is the air ducts on a centralized heating system, you're screwed. When your lease is up, move.

Can't you buy filters for the air ducts?

HappyHusband

baystategirl said:
Can't you buy filters for the air ducts?
In my experience the only way to stop the stank is to stop the air flow.

I don't think a filter will cut it, but it may provide some relief.

HappyHusband

You Are Guilty said:
Fight back. Some limburger cheese and an industrial fan ought to do the trick.
Yeah, that's it! :)
But the smokers' sense of smell has long since deteriorated and they couldn't smell it anyway. :(

If your apartment has a positive air pressure in relation to the other apartments, the stank won't come in. A giant fan in a window will do, but you may get cold. :(
No stank and frostbite, or warm, cozy, and stanky. Tough choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">