• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City says landlord must pay water bill if tenant does not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rwhite

I am from Illinois. Does any landlord have any experience with cities that require the landlord to pay the water if a tenant does not pay for it? Can this ordinance be consitutional if the landlord has no way of controlling if the water is turned on or off? I would like to hear from a landlord that has tried to fight such an ordinance. Thank you.

[Edited by rwhite on 03-27-2001 at 12:43 AM]

L

LL

I don't know about laws, but the idea seems halfway reasonable to me.

The landlord can pressure tenants into conservation, also he has the credit records and knows as much as anyone about tenant whereabouts and assets.

Condominiums make homeowners responsible for their tenants.

M

mary hartman

This is rediculous.....Landlord always pay for water.

Come on this is a scam...how much is the water bill for each apartment anyway $100 a month?

NAH the difference is what $10 a month from someone who conserves and one that doent...I think this is a real petty thing ......

Not only that if there is a leak or a water break, and you get a $300 bill of course i would expect the landlord to pay for it....

So stop your complaining and give me some facts how much money are we talking about!

I bet you spend more money on fetilizing your lawn then to water it!

L

LL

Crazy dj again (aka Mary Hartman, aka dj1, aka who knows who else).

His experience is so limited, he can't even imagine a tenant having a water meter.

L

LL

Crazy dj again (aka Mary Hartman, aka dj1, aka who knows who else).

His experience is so limited, he can't even imagine a tenant having a water meter.

He also can't imagine what is the size of a water bill except where he lives.

M

mary hartman

FACTS amounts dollars , i cant belive its that much...

Here in NYC my friend owns a 4 family house, water and sewer is $300 a quarter....$100 a month for 4 apartments...GEEZ!

L

LL

I pay $300 water bill every other month for my HOUSE (nothing to do with my apartments).

Since rwhite says in the first line that he is from Illinois, why should anyone be interested in dj's inane comments about NYC? Besides thinking that landlord always pays for water. And what do these stupid remarks have to do with the question that rwhite asked?

M

mary hartman

AH LL $150 a month does that include a swimming pool and watering your lawns, cars and house, sidewalks, driveway etc.?

None of that here... so thats why i dont understand what the fuss is about? You have LOTS of water usage, your bills shoud be High.

L

LL

No one cares what it is "here".
rwhite is in Illinois.

My apartments also have swimming pool and watering your lawns, cars and house, sidewalks, driveway etc. Add jacuzzi, lots of landscaping, hot water heaters, laundry, etc.
Tenants have their own meters, and pay their own utilities.

You don't understand because you're a dope.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">