• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting fees for cleaning and damages. Homestead, FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

percynery

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Hi to all. I need some advice regarding this situation. I broke my contract and I signed an agreement to pay the penalty in payments. I was paying $840 for rent. So, I moved out and I left the apartment in good conditions with no mayor damages and normal wear of the rug. Before I left I asked the property manager and she said no additional charges will apply to my account and she kept my $300 deposit. Now, 3 weeks later I got a certified letter asking for $1200 for cleaning and damages of the property, she is giving me 15 days to respond to agree to set up a payments schedule; if I do not reply she will report my case to a collector agency and to the 3 credit agencies.
My mistake was not taking pictures before leaving this apartment and I left on the weekend, so the landlord was not able to check it with me the conditions of this apartment. The apartment is located in Homestead, FL.
I do not know if to hire a lawyer or just deal direct with her.

FarmerJ

Bill collectors still can try to collect on so called claims but if a bill collector contacts you , do not admit to any thing , get the collectors mailing address and then send to them a certified letter telling them you must have a copy of the judgment they should have on file before continuing any further communications. See your former LL can just send things to collections and its just not likely this former landlord belongs to a credit reporting service but even if they did with out a court ordered judgment they have only a claim and nothing more, NOW as to those cleaning charges if they are not true tell her to take you to court ( where she will have to prove to a court that you left the place a mess. ) do go ahead and pay off what your previous total was but as to the rest I suspect she may be trying to scare you into paying. Keep in mind with out court ordered judgments what ever she claims is owed is only a claim until she can get a court to agree with her and find in her favor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">