• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colorado tenant dies- what about the lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluestone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

My dad died last month and the apartment complex where he was living is charging me for the 10 days into this month that it took to remove his belongings, and for any damages.... are they allowed to do that? Or should I have had all of his stuff out before the first of this month? He died Feb. 10, and I had all of his belongings out by March 10. His rent was paid to March 1, and there is a 5 day grace. I believe they also want to charge me late charges. Am I liable for these? Or should I give them a copy of his death certificate and say sorry, charlie?

Seanscott

If the apartment complex wants those charges they will have to deal with your father's estate. If he did not have enough assets to go through probate court, tell the complex to get lost.
They did not have a contract with you and you are not liable. Don't pay them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">