• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

commercial lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TRanch

What is the name of your state? CA

I bought a business about a year ago which had a lease of less than 1 1/2 years left in the current term. Also has 2 5-year options to renew. The business I bought is a franchise and I was advised to wait 'til the end of the lease term to change the name on the lease to my name. In the meantime, I decided to sell the business, and the landlord approved the buyer but he refuses to remove the old owner's name (one before me) off the lease. The landlord only wants to assign the lease to the buyer without issuing a new lease. The landlord is requesting financials from the old owner which I thought was odd since he should have that info in the first place. When I asked him this, he said it's because when he bought the building he didn't have this info for the old owner.
The old owner is refusing to release his financials. The current lease is up next month, but the landlord is saying the old owner is legally liable for the next 20 years! Is this true?

south

I dont know I have not seen the lease ask the landord to see documents supporting the statement.

TRanch said:
but the landlord is saying the old owner is legally liable for the next 20 years! Is this true?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">