• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condemned House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robin000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

So the BOH is coming to do an inspection and I am completely convinced that this home is going to be condemend and shut down for repairs since we aslo found out that there is asbestos in the basement along with onging issues with other maintenance repairs..so the BOH has also informed me that if it gets condemend, than the LL is responsible for putting us in a hotel and providing us with money for food...now my questions is,
- what if he doesnt have the money to do so even though its mandatory?..
-what will happen?...I have no otherplace to go. should I worry? or is the LL going to be completely responsible whether he has the money or not?

LindaP777

You made no mention of a lease. Are you month to month? Week to week? Without a lease, the landlord would simply give you notice and ask you to leave.

seniorjudge

so the BOH has also informed me that if it gets condemend, than the LL is responsible for putting us in a hotel and providing us with money for food

Do you have a statute number for this alleged law?

Who is paying for your food now?

Massachusetts Tenant Information

Here are the rules for the Board of Health. I don't see anything in there where a landlord has to put you up in a hotel and pay for your meals.

robin000

well yes I am a tenant at will, but before I filed the complaint, I asked many questions ans that one being " what if it gets condemend?" and they told me that the landlord is responsible to place me somewhere if the house gets condemed and provide me with some money for food. I was also stated that a landlor cannot evict you within 6 months of calling the BOH because it would be considered retaliation even if I am month to month.

reenzz

"landlord is responsible to place me somewhere if the house gets condemed and provide me with some money for food".

You heard wrong.

"I was also stated that a landlord cannot evict you within 6 months of calling the BOH because it would be considered retaliation even if I am month to month".

Wrong again....

MA LAW: If the building is condemed, you will have at 72 hours to vacate. If the building is deemed "dangerous" or "life threatening"... You will have to leave within 3 hours.

robin000

incase your interested...

just incase your interested...the inspection was made and no the home was not condemed. He was however found in violation and has 2 weeks to complete the repairs. If no repairs are made by specified date, court action will be taken.
As for him evicting me or increasing the rent...he cannot do either until 6months AFTER he's completed all repairs.
thank you.

BL

just incase your interested...the inspection was made and no the home was not condemed. He was however found in violation and has 2 weeks to complete the repairs. If no repairs are made by specified date, court action will be taken.
As for him evicting me or increasing the rent...he cannot do either until 6months AFTER he's completed all repairs. thank you.
Not completely true , but if you keep on the up and up ( pay your rent , no illegal activities , etc . ) , then no he can not retaliate .

If there were other credible reasons to evict , the LL could .

nancymaries

condemned house

I own an apartment building in Brockton Massachusetts. The building was condemned due to a pipe bursting and the tenants were told to leave. Some of the tenants removed their belongings, others have not. I have no way of contacting any of the tenants now that they have left the building. No one has contacted me to let me know where they are staying now. How long to I have to wait in order to change the locks, as I have found out that although the building has been condemned, a tenant that I was evicting for non payment of rent, has been frequenting the building and "hanging out" on the porch. I would like to change the locks on the building, and, remove any property still left on the premises. How long do I have to wait in order to do these two things - and, if notice MUST be given to them, how am I to do this, if I am no longer in contact with any of the tenants? I appreciate any help that someone can give**************......

BL

I own an apartment building in Brockton Massachusetts. The building was condemned due to a pipe bursting and the tenants were told to leave. Some of the tenants removed their belongings, others have not. I have no way of contacting any of the tenants now that they have left the building. No one has contacted me to let me know where they are staying now. How long to I have to wait in order to change the locks, as I have found out that although the building has been condemned, a tenant that I was evicting for non payment of rent, has been frequenting the building and "hanging out" on the porch. I would like to change the locks on the building, and, remove any property still left on the premises. How long do I have to wait in order to do these two things - and, if notice MUST be given to them, how am I to do this, if I am no longer in contact with any of the tenants? I appreciate any help that someone can give**************......
Start your own thread .

We consider resurrecting threads and hijacking them rude .

nancymaries

wow - didn't know that was hijacking.... was staying on the topic of the thread - I thought that was better than creating another one. Didn't mean to be "rude" to anyone.... wow!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">