• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condemned Property: What are my rights as a tenant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiredofslumlord

Thanks for your advice. I'm reading the City Ordinance regarding the Code Violations and I'm trying to understand it all. I called the actual inspector (her phone number is on the notice) and left a message. Hopefully, I can get an answer from her come Monday. One thing I can say I got from the ordinance is the LL was supposed to notify us (myself and my mother in law who lives on the other side of the duplex) of the notice and the repair orderss. He hasn't even started repair work, and hasn't called either of us to tell us anything.

Based on what I read, and my understanding, the city notifies of the violations and gives 30 days to correct. If LL doesn't comply by that date, the city will notify him as to whether they are going to repair the house themselves, or effectively board the house and ready it for demolition. From what I understood, if he doesn't do anything by the comply date, he won't be able to, and we won't be able to stay here while repairs are being made.

But that's what I got out of it. I hope in speaking with the inspector I get a better understanding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">