• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confiscated property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IROC2

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My son was a month behind on rent so the landlord posted a notice on his door to evict. My son was staying with someone else and didn't find the notice until he went to move his belongings out of the apartment. When he got there, he found all of his stuff had been moved out and he later found out the landlord had hired movers and put his things in storage. The landlord will not let him have any of his things until he pays the back rent. Is this legal?

FarmerJ

Has your son looked up his name at the clerks office of the county court house to see if indeed there was a court ordered eviction ?

IROC2

Yes, it was a court ordered eviction. The paper that was posted on his door was a "warrant for possession". They have his birth certificate, his daughter's birth certificate, his social security card, and some other important papers. He is saving up the money to get it all back, but I didn't know if I should get a lawyer or not.

There's usually a timeline once property is stored before it's disposed of or sold for the money owed to the landlord. Your son might need to speed up his 'saving' process before his stuff is gone for good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">