• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is contract void? need to break lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gabstyle21

What is the name of your state? pa
My friends and I signed for a house at college for the fall. We have 4 spots and signatures on the lease but 5 people in the house. The landlord told us it was ok to do this but we just found out that the girls before us had to go to court because they got caught and it is against borough rules. We wrote a letter to the borough telling them the situation and telling them we wanted to break the lease. The landlord lied and said he didnt know the 5th girl was there. The girl had her rent receipts and they won but now we dont want to live there and go through that. We didnt know it was illegal. Is the contract void because theres 5 of us and only 4 spots? Can we break the lease, it doesnt start till june 1st 2004? The landlord said he'd allow us to as long as we found 5 more people but we dont feel it is our responsibility to do this and we dont want to set up anyone to get screwed.help!!! The borough inspector advised us to sign another lease to make sure we had somewhere to live next year, we're on 2 leases now!!

Last edited:

JETX

gabstyle21 said:
What is the name of your state? pa
My friends and I signed for a house at college for the fall. We have 4 spots and signatures on the lease but 5 people in the house. The landlord told us it was ok to do this but we just found out that the girls before us had to go to court because they got caught and it is against borough rules. The landlord lied and said he didnt know the 5th girl was there. The girl had her rent receipts and they won but now we dont want to live there and go through that. We didnt know it was illegal.[./quote]
And what EXACTLY did the landlord say when you contacted him/her in writing with your concerns and request to void the lease???

Is the contract void because theres 5 of us and only 4 spots?
No. However a court may determine so and terminate the lease....

Can we break the lease, it doesnt start till june 1st 2004?
Of course you can 'break the lease'. And if you do, you will very likely be facing legal action by the landlord for breach. If you feel comfortable enough that a court would agree that the lease was voidable, then go ahead. And fi you don't or are unwilling to accept the risk of a potential lawsuit, then don't.

The landlord said he'd allow us to as long as we found 5 more people but we dont feel it is our responsibility to do this and we dont want to set up anyone to get screwed.help!!!
And I agree with you. If you have discovered that the lease you entered into is illegal (as it appears), then you shouldn't have any obligation to abide by it. I suggest you contact the local 'borough' agency responsible for the rule and let them know of the infraction. They will investigate and handle accordingly.

we're on 2 leases now
*** Oh, oh!!! Your decision to enter TWO leases at the same time is very likely going to result in ONE of the landlords suing you for breach, so I suggest you get this in order NOW!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">