• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crazy roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stucknlease

What is the name of your state? VA
I moved from a different country and moved inwith a girl I only talked to on the phone. After moving in and signing the lease she stated acting strange. Stated she was seeing things, taking her cloths off in front of me etc. I moved out 4 wks later into an appartment owned my the same rentals company. They said I could leave but I had to find a roommate for the other girl. I tried to get her a roommate posted adds online, in the paper and all over the city. No one moved in because she stated she did not want them to. I continued to pay rent on both apatments for three more months until I had no more debt to give. I told her and the rentals office I could not pay anymore. I did not hear anything more about the apartment until mid May when the old roommate leaves a message telling me to pay for May plus late costs and court fees for a court date in June. I think she may have had someone else living there but I'm not sure.
Is there any way to get out of a lease when your roommate ends up to be mentally ill?

JETX

"Is there any way to get out of a lease when your roommate ends up to be mentally ill?"
*** No. This is simply one of the hazards of agreeing to be financially liable with someone you never met and know nothing about.

However, the remaining tenant has an obligation to 'mitigate' her damages. This simply means that she cannot benefit from your breach by enjoying the full apartment for 1/2 the rent. She is required to make a reasonable effort to replace you when you leave. Your post says, "I tried to get her a roommate posted adds online, in the paper and all over the city. No one moved in because she stated she did not want them to."

Do you still have copies of the ads and posters?? Did you also get her statement of not wanting them in writing?? If you did to either/both of these, then you might be able to show the court that you are not liable for more than the first month or so.

Good luck and let us know where this ends up....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">