• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kidally

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I live in a space with 2 roommates, we are all on the lease. One of my roommates is becoming increasingly disturbing and strange. I am pretty sure he is at least mildly schitzophrenic, as he tells us he hears voices all the time and is very paranoid. He also is a slob, after repeated attempts to break up chores amongst the three of us we have basically given up. He has talked about committing suicide, harrassed our friends, threatened to kill people in our presence, talks excessively about his masturbation habits, is menacing towards my cats, and smokes pot constantly. My landlord knows of the situation but he says there is not much he can do because we are all on the lease. He said even if we called the cops about the pot they probably wouldn't do much. My roommate was previously in a mental institution for a month and was kicked out of his last apartment and arrested for beating up his roommate. My other (sane) roommate and I want him out as soon as possible. He always pays the rent on time. What recourse do I have? I was thinking of filing an order of protection against him, but that seems a little extreme and might only make things worse. This person will not listen to reason however and would never leave if we asked him to. Any advice?

JETX

"What recourse do I have?"
*** As long as he is in compliance with the terms of the lease, he has the exact same rights of tenancy as the rest of you. However, his conduct is certainly disturbing and I would suggest you talk with his parents or the local police about his mental state. It might be possible to get him committed for evaluation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">