• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CRAZY roommate and lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2far4me

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I moved into an apartment with a friend of a friend -- big mistake. The woman is psycho: angry that someone ate her food, she trashed my bedroom and smashed my new digital camera. I filed vandalism charges against her - now, we are both living in the same apartment - and she was arrested. She is verbally abusive (I know - sticks and stones...) but even threatened me and my mother (who came over to try to get us to talk things out after the room was trashed and camera was broken. My mother called the police that day because she was uncomfortable that the verbal abuse would escalate). I filed an order of protection against her to try to get her out of the apartment but that hasn't worked. She sits in her bedroom with the door open and screams profanities at me and about me. No one can talk to her about anything. Any time I've tried a conversation, I'm confronted with such vicious anger that I am afraid to be alone with the woman (narrowed eyes, spitting, throwing things, horrible profanity). I am moving out since sleeping with my bedroom door locked and wedged doesn't do much for a good night's sleep. Despite this hisory, my landlord is threatening me about breaking the lease. I had hoped the crazy chick would move out when served the order of protection and I could then get some half sane person in her place. If the psycho demon still inhabits the apartment and I have the documentation for the crazy behavior, can't I write a justification and escape the broken lease? I lived there less than one month. Can't I plead roommate insanity?What is the name of your state? TennesseeWhat is the name of your state?

FarmerJ

You can tell your LL the two of you are not compatible BUT this is something you should have known before you signed the lease with roomate , Keep in touch with the LL and plan on the LL having to evict the other party and the easiest one for the LL to go after will be the one they collect from when they sue for unpaid rents and damages. If you pay up every thing to the LL once the roomate is gone then you are going to have to sue in small claims court to recover SOME of the money. DO your self a favor NO more roomates where you both are on the lease, either rent a room where you are the only person on a month to month lease or find a very small effy apt and live by your self.

applecruncher

Unless you and this woman are 8 yrs old, your mother should stay out of it. After you filed vandalism charges, you want to have a talk?!! That’s just inflaming the situation. You also have no business attempting to converse with someone you’ve gotten a protection order against. :rolleyes: Good grief. Leave her alone, stay away from her, say nothing to her. Ditto for your mother.

2far4me

Applecruncher,
I'm 18 (just graduated from high school in December), this is my first apartment, and my mom lives down the street from the apts. I called her as soon as I saw my broken camera and trashed room to see what I should do about everything. She thought I was overreacting until she heard the maniac on my end of the phone screaming at me. She drove over and sat in the parking lot until I didn't answer my phone then she's the one (my mom) that called the police. When the police got there, my roommate left and wouldn't talk to me, the cop, or anyone else. I wasn't trying to keep anything going on by getting my mother involved. I just wasn't sure what I should do and I was really upset about my stuff. The order of protection happened after my roommate was arrested and after she threatened to kick my ---. The policeman that investigated the vandalism and arrested the woman advised me to do that if my roommate continued to be abusive. I never tried to keep anything going on which is the reason I just moved my belongings out.

applecruncher

2far4me,
Okay, I'll cut you some slack. My post was too harsh. I thought your mother was butting in and that you were attempting to "talk things out" with someone who is clearly dangerous. I hope you don't have anymore problems with this psycho - glad she got arrested. Good luck to you, and I mean that. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">