• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage Due to Acts of God

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LMT

My question: am I entitled to receive my deposit back after the duplex I was renting flooded due to frozen water pipes?
History: my lease ended in Dec 2000, however I moved out in Sept 2000 but continued to pay rent. I made arrangements with my landlord & let her know she could show it to rent out earlier than Jan '01 if she wanted. I still had a few personal items left in the duplex - boxes, fridge, washer/dryer, I also checked on the place once or twice a week. The heat was set at 50. She never showed the place.
Late December - the water pipes froze & burst in the master bath. It flooded that bedroom on the top floor, soaked thru to the main level ruining the kitchen area and living room floor. My landlords insurance will cover the cost to fix. Others have given me advice that I should leagally be able to have my deposit returned to me - $950.00 deposit + $475.00 pet deposit.
Before this incident, the duplex was in the same condition as when I moved in - no damage / clean / etc.
The pipes bursting would be an act of God, however - am I liable because I was not residing at that address ?
Thank You...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">