• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

damage to property caused by maitenance workers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stacy1101

What is the name of your state? Florida
My landlord recently sent maintenance workers over to my apt to fix some electrical wiring problems. They were about to work on an outlet which is close to this glass table stand where i keep all my antique figurines etc. I quickly got up and started to move the stand so they wouldnt accidently brake it. But one of the guys stopped me and told me not to worry they wouldnt be going close to it, so i left it. What do you know, ten seconds later.... bamm. anyway, my landlord refuses responsibility because she says it was an accident. Are they responsible?

moburkes

My landlord recently sent maintenance workers over to my apt to fix some electrical wiring problems. They were about to work on an outlet which is close to this glass table stand where i keep all my antique figurines etc. I quickly got up and started to move the stand so they wouldnt accidently brake it. But one of the guys stopped me and told me not to worry they wouldnt be going close to it, so i left it. What do you know, ten seconds later.... bamm. anyway, my landlord refuses responsibility because she says it was an accident. Are they responsible?
Yes, they are, but only up to the actual cash value, not the sentimental value. But, I would have moved it just in case.

Cvillecpm

You should claim on your renter's insurance and you should have had the figurines scheduled specifically if they were valuable.

blksheep

Were the electrical workers licensed and bonded? I am not 100% sure but pehaps they would be responsible for the damages. I know if I brought a professional electriction into my home and they caused damage then their company would be on the hook to pay for it. Again I am not sure on this one but it is a thought. Anyone have any insight on this avenue?

stacy1101

well they werent electricians they were regular handyman employed by the apt complex. and i also dont have renters insurance.

xylene

No such thing as an accident in a case like this. Its called negligence.

Get an estimate of the value of the destroyed property.

Ask the landlord if they would preffer to deduct this from rent or pay you cash.

Insurance is for accidents and to protect others from your negligence. Workers / landlords insurance is for their negligence. You should still get renters insurance - but not having insurance isn't going to change a thing about who is liable for damaging your stuff in this case.

moburkes

No such thing as an accident in a case like this. Its called negligence.

Get an estimate of the value of the destroyed property.

Ask the landlord if they would preffer to deduct this from rent or pay you cash.

Insurance is for accidents and to protect others from your negligence. Workers / landlords insurance is for their negligence. You should still get renters insurance - but not having insurance isn't going to change a thing about who is liable for damaging your stuff in this case.
If this was scheduled on a renter's policy, it would have saved lots of hassle. No deductible, no pain. The insurance company would have gone after the at fault party.

xylene

If this was scheduled on a renter's policy, it would have saved lots of hassle. No deductible, no pain. The insurance company would have gone after the at fault party.
All too true, but there is no unspilling that milk at this point.

Failing to have renters insurance or special insurance on the figurines does not make the landlord any less liable.

The first step is to figure the provable damages and present them to the landlord.

If the landlord is not reasonable, than this poster will need to sue in small claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">