• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damages from Past Tenants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lynne01

What is the name of your state? New York

I am currently renting out a room in a large home with 2 other roommates.
None of us have a lease, just a verbal Month to Month agreement with the landlord.

I have been here for 4 Months and one of the other roommates has been here for a 1 1/2 years and has 4 cats. The cats and herself have caused ALOT of damage to the house. Probably to the amount near $2000.00 dollars or more. She has used this house as her personal dumping ground and trash can, not caring what she does to it.

I am going to rent the entire house from the landlord starting July 1st 2006 and he is giving the other tenants a 30 day notice soon. I have informed him about the vast amount of damages the one roommate and her cats have done. The landlord seems to think he won't be able to recover damages from this person and for that reason , plus he lives in another state. is not going to pursue it.

My question is: Can i pursue it. Can i sue her for damages she and her cats have done to the house, since i am going to be renting the entire house.

I know for a fact when she gets the 30 day notice she is going to proceed to trash the house out even more and that will cause me ALOT of work in cleaning and repairs to the house. I made an agreement with the landlord in the lease i signed that i won't pay a deposit but i will fix the place up in lieu of the deposit.

Since this person is causing me more work i feel i should be able to take her to court and sue for damages she has done. I think the landlord would let me do this if i ask him.
We have a very good repore.What is the name of your state?

LindaP777

Lynne01 said:
My question is: Can i sue her for damages she and her cats have done to the house, since i am going to be renting the entire house. Since this person is causing me more work i feel i should be able to take her to court and sue for damages she has done. I think the landlord would let me do this if i ask him. We have a very good repore.What is the name of your state?
Interesting question, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of (different) answers. I, personally, don't see how you can sue someone for damages on a house that is not yours. Unless she damages some of your personal property, I don't think you'll win the judgement. Wait for other contradicting responses . . .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">