• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damages by tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suecheung

What is the name of your state? CA

I have a townhouse that I rented out to a low-income family through the section 8 housing assistance. When they moved in 7 years ago I didn't require a security deposit from them because they were unable to pay. Last month, they moved out and left thousand dollars of damages to the interior. They also damaged a roof ladder on the exterior wall of the complex by backing their moving truck into it accidentally.

Now the townhouse association asked me to pay for the repair of the ladder estimated to be $1700. Am I responsible for the damages done by my tenants? Should Section 8 be responsible for their clients?

Please advise.

FarmerJ

If your lease was one of the older ones where the S8 clients damage was paid by the program go get them to inspect with you . If you were on the newer program where s8 stopped paying damage claim and had the tenant pay market rate deposit then go after the tenant , take a look at your original contract with S8 and review it , same with any additional documents you were mailed over the 7yrs . and get them to inspect the unit before you repair anything if your contract was the older one w Damage coverage .

Cvillecpm

If movers were acrually a "professional moving company" then their insurance should cover.

In 7 years, why weren't you in the unit and complaining about condition?

FarmerJ

And dont forget to take pictures of the damages your going to have to repair that are not general wear and tear , In 7 yrs s8 wouldnt have allowed the unit to get into too much disrepair with the annual re inspects every yr so again make sure to take pics and if your lease was old enough where s8 covered damage then make sure they inspect before you do anything at all to the unit .

suecheung

Thank you for your advise. My lease was the older contract.

The tenant rented the moving truck and did the moving themselves. During the 7 years of tenancy, they kept the unit nice. It passed the annual inspection in September. Damages were done in the last month and last day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">