• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dangerous living conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nunutzi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DC

I was recently assaulted in my apartment complex. I was taking the elevator when a man pushed me to the ground, kicked me, scratched me, bruised my wrists from grabbing me. I have photos and a medical report. Currently I´m waiting for the warrant arrest order to be issued.

Today September 22 2010 I talked to the manager of my apartment complex, requesting help in finding me an apartment with same conditions and help for moving since I no longer feel safe living under these circumstances. He stated they couldn't offer any moving help and all they could do was break my lease and give me back my deposit.
I´m currently feeling constant back pain from the assault suffered at the elevator and I´m feeling physically threaten by knowing my assaulter lives on the same floor I do. I want to know if I can pursuit for all the damages suffered due to their lack of providing safe conditions for my living.

I live besides a man who has knocked at my door late several times (brought by the security guards) with phony complaints. He stares at me nonstop. Scary. Security knows the man from previous tenants complaints. The day I moved in a leather chair was stolen from the hallway as I was moving.

Do I have a case?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

You should not have left your couch in the hallway unattended. You obviously knew you were not moving into the high rent district. Now that you are suffering the result of that, you are unhappy. The complex has provided a security guard. You obviously were so outraged by the living conditions, you resigned your lease for another year I guess? I am sorry you now feel insecure and feel you were assaulted.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The management is offering to release her from her lease obligations. That's more than they are required to do. If OP wants to move, she should be ecstatic about the offer.

Banned_Princess

take the out, and the security back, get it in writing, and move out.

that is THE BEST you are going to get.

Its not the apartments fault its dangerous, you should have done some research and DEFINITELY NOT renewed your lease with them. :rolleyes:

they have a security guard for crimees sake! did you feel better having learned that? or did you say "jeez, they have security guards, maybe this place isn't safe for a single woman... "

tranquility

I agree with Zigner. Unless the apartment was advertised as high security or somesuch, the criminal acts of another is rarely punishable to the landlord.

Searchertwin

You are basically wanting money from the LL. LL did not cause you injury, the man in the elevator did. Sue him for your medical bills. LL has no part in any of this.

I´m currently feeling constant back pain from the assault suffered at the elevator
You are trying to use the elevator as a means to sue the LL, which is stupid. If the assault happen in the park on the ground, who would you sue? The dirt? Makes just as much sense.

He stated they couldn't offer any moving help and all they could do was break my lease and give me back my deposit.
Why should they offer you any moving help? They didn't do anything wrong here. LL was being very generous in letting you break your lease. He didn't have to do that either.

I want to know if I can pursuit for all the damages suffered due to their lack of providing safe conditions for my living.
Explain how the LL did not provide safe conditions? Nothing you indicated shows LL is at fault.

He stares at me nonstop.
Stare back.

Security knows the man from previous tenants complaints.
If he does know this, than he is doing his job.

Do I have a case?
Only against the man who assaulted you.

Personal note, sorry you were hurt. Take care

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">