• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

death of a tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ttwinkiw

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I need help fast! I am a first time landlord and my very first tenant recently died. He lived there for nine months and signed a one year lease. His longtime girlfriend lived with him but she never filled out an application or signed the lease. Everything was in his name, Now that he's gone I don't know what to do with her. I knew that she was living there and I know she was contributing. Leagally what am i required to do? What about the security deposit? Should everything transfer to her? Or should I refund the money to his estate and start all over with her?

HomeGuru

ttwinkiw said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I need help fast! I am a first time landlord and my very first tenant recently died. He lived there for nine months and signed a one year lease. His longtime girlfriend lived with him but she never filled out an application or signed the lease. Everything was in his name, Now that he's gone I don't know what to do with her. I knew that she was living there and I know she was contributing. Leagally what am i required to do?

**A: follow the L/T law as she is a m/m holdover tenant.
What about the security deposit?

**A: it must be returned to the estate, following the proper procedures.

Should everything transfer to her?

**A: no, since she is not on the lease and did not pay you the monies.

Or should I refund the money to his estate and start all over with her?
**A: yes, you are finally getting it. And if you ar ein the business of being alandlord, you need to undertsand the biz. Start off by reading the L/T laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">