• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Default judgment at appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gopow

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I previously won a $2500 small claims decision against my former landlord, in which we both presented our cases in court. He later appealed the decision and I have just returned from that court hearing and neither my former landlord nor his lawyer showed up. The Judge asked me if I felt the previous judgment was fair and I responded yes. He awarded me the same $2500 and gave me a court document. The document shows the judgment and states "defendant not present" but he did not mark either "default" or "trial" decision which was a selection at the bottom. What now? Since this was the landlord appealing and he did not show to his own appeal, will this matter? Should we wait any specified time to try and collect? Thanks for any guidance.

Geo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">