• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Department Of Revenue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angie68

Recently I was involved in a situation that I think was outragious in Jasper County MO (Carthage). I was driving someone elses car and was pulled over by 2 squad cars for "driving to close to the curb". I did not have my license on me at the time and the owner did not have proof of insurance in the car. The officers supervisor arrived on the scene and after a 45 minute interigation on the side of the road, I was informed for the first time that my license was suspended! I had never received any notification of this. I had only had 2 minor speeding tickets both of which were paid and one time I was stopped for not having a back license plate on my vehicle and issued a ticket for no insurance. I went to court and produced insurance for the judge and was told to pay a fine. I thought that was all there was to it. Now I have to go to criminal court because I was driving while suspended. I told the officers I had no idea and they referred me to the Department of Revenue..... They admitted that they sent the notice to the wrong address but said it was my fault because I did not notify them directly when I moved! I put in a change of address at the post office.... I get all my other mail just fine. I have been living at this address now for 2 years although I will be moving shortly. I am certain that if I sent them some money and they did not receive it they would hold me responsible. At any rate..... If we are to contact the Department Of Revenue when we move why are we not made aware of this? I would like to know how to go about getting answers to these questions? Who does a person go to when they have a complaint against the government and does it ever do any good? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Angela

M

macckkk

Angela Angela Angela....

See what happens when you DONT READ.......

You get your license suspended!

Its on the back of MY drivers license. that you must notify the Motor Vehicles within 10 days of moving!

Change of address.....HMMMM Seee you dont read.... ever get a new credit card in the mail or you Bank card????

It says in BIG LETTERS "DO NOT FOWARD" anyone can put in a change of address so as a security measure the Post Office is NOT ALLOWED to foward the mail . Just think what would happen if they foward your Bank card and PIN # to a scam artist?

So it's the same with a government letter....

If only you would learn to read, it could have kept you out of trouble.

PS......IF you READ you driver's license manual, you must notify the motor vehicles of a change of address becuse they dont foward the mail....it's in there!

Last edited:
A

angie68

Mack Attack

The DMV and the Department of REVENUE are two seperate departments smartie, and the DMV has had my address for a long time since I have received mail directly from them I know this for a fact. So Mack..... you are the one who needs to learn how to read.

M

macckkk

So then YOU ARE guilty of driving with a suspended license , so whats the problem?

What does your drivers licnese say about notification?

Who do have to notify?

And what does the dept of revenue have to do with this?

A

angie68

In Response To Macks ?

#1. How can I be guilty of driving with a suspended license if I do not even know my license is suspended in the first place? I was never notified by anyone! If I had been notified I would not have been driving in the first place and none of this would be happening.

#2. I have my license right here in front of me and it says nothing regarding notification on it on the front or back.

#3. The department of Revenue is involved because that is who the police passed the buck to on the side of the road saying they are the ones who are responsible for notifying a person when they are suspended. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

#4. I contacted the department of Revenue and they admit that they are responsible to notify persons if they have been suspended. They also admit sending the notification to the wrong address even though my current address where I have been for 2 years now is listed with the DMV and the post office and even in the phone book. They say none of that matters and that when a person moves he/she is suposed to contact the Department of Revenue directly to let them know. (News To Me).

M

macckkk

OK that makes it clearer.......

Since I have never heard this anywhere before, then the best thing to do is go to the DMV and get the MO drivers license manual , and see if its in there.

If it's NOT then I would take the offical government manual and show a judge there is nowhere in the MO Drivers License book thats says you have to notify the MO dept of revenue of a change of address, it only says the DMV. Which you did before your license was supposedly suspended, you will need the EXACT dates you notified DMV and the exact date you were supposedly sent the letter to suspend your license.

Then lets see how they get out of that one.

Last edited:
A

angie68

Thank You Mack!

Finally someone actually gets what I am saying here. I had not thought of looking in the drivers manual but I will do that because that sounds like a good idea. I am new here so I know I posted this in the wrong section.... then I was not sure what area all of this fell into so I posted it is a couple other places that were possibilitys... it seems that one poster is a little upset about this so I am appologizing if I have broken any rules.

Thank you. I will let you know what I find out and the out come.

M

macckkk

i wish you luck.......

IF they did send it to the wrong address, instead of the address on your DL, then you might squeeze by on them dropping the ticket.

Since you did nothing wrong.

I would also find out why they suspended your license? was it the speeding tickets the no insurance? Can you find the reciepts you paid the fines?

Thats why EXACT dates are important, and payment by check is important, you can always get a copy of your check even if its a couple of years old.

If they did screw up, then you should have plenty of evidence to win.

Think like this:

On XX-xx-2000 i recieved a ticket for
then on XX_XX_2000 I paid the fines with check #

The suspension of license notice was sent to ________ on XX-XX-2001

I had notified DMV of my change of address On xx-xx-2001, so Dept of Revenue sent it to the
wrong address

Last edited:
A

angie68

Thanks For Everything Mack

I am not sure I will be able to get all the evidence I need as I paid my fines in cash. The only violations I have had are 2 minor speeding tickets both paid during traffic court, and one ticket for no insurance in the vehicle. I went to court for this as well and produced insurance in front of the judge. I then paid the court cashier again in cash and thought that was the end of it. The judge said nothing of suspension, but this is the one that has gotten me suspended. I am in the midst of moving and I don't think I have any receipts as this all happened over a year ago. I have had no driving violations at all in the past 12 months. I am going to try and get information from the courts where I paid my fines and see if that helps any. I also can produce my drivers license with my correct address on it to the judge, that should be evidence enough that the DMV had my address. You would think they would be the ones to notify the Department Of Revenue with any address changes. This is all a huge mess but I have faith that once the judge hears my side of it all the right thing will happen. If I am suspended so be it, but I do not think I should be held responsible for the driving with a suspended licese the other day when I had no idea I was even doing that. I am not driving now because I know.

M

macckkk

The reciepts are VERY important......

Why did you pay money if you proved you had insurance at the time? wasnt the ticket dismissed?

Or was it you didnt have insurance when the ticket was written, and you got it before the court date? what date was the ticket written, what date was your court appearence? what date was on the insurance card?

The question a judge will want to know is: can you prove on the date the ticket was written you had vaild (paid up) insurance on the car? If not then that is probably why they suspended your license.

The exact dates, reciepts etc, is what you need to prove your case.

Last edited:

crusheroz

I also believe that drivers license's have a point system. Atleast they do in AR and overseas. When you go over your points, you loose your license. That is probably what happened in your case.
Just a thought!

M

macckkk

good point, but 2 minor speeding tickets should not be enough to suspend the license, now if it was 2 major say 30mph over the limt then maybe....

some states its 2 points or 4 over 30mph over the limit... and at 10 or 12 its suspended

I think it was she was cited for no insurance, and the court didnt send the not guilty verdict to the DMV.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">