• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deposit issues... What to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

movinginnj

What is the name of your state?NJ

I am going to thank you in advance for reading as I have numerous points to make.. most of it is relevant info I think. (not all :) So it may be a tad long. I have managed to read up on NJ L/T law a bit so here goes

I recently moved out of my previous apartment of 8 years.. I had signed a lease when I moved in but never resigned it (of possible importance). As the LL always told me I was a good tenant.. since I never gave them trouble.. was quite and always paid the rent. I never asked for repairs of minor things.. it was a nice relationship (no point other then I am not a partying loud, non-paying tenant) :)

I was informed that they would need the place for a family member. and to start looking for a new home..

On November 1st I moved the bulk of my things and that evening I went to the LL and asked if it was ok to come later for some things like the dryer that I was unable to lift on my own.. and a few boxes in the basement.. She said "sure thats fine.. we wont be able to get over there for a few days anyway. I informed her that "the upstairs was all done.. Anything still there was garbage".. (literally some papers in the rooms.. the LR had the most with an organized pile ready to goto the garbage can, one bags worth) Honestly she didnt seem thrilled with the request.. but was ok with it.

On the 2nd I came for the Dryer and the other boxes.. the power was off as well as the other utilities.. As it got dark I had to retire for the evening..

The 3rd I came to see if I missed anything.. My wife asked about a clock, baby gate and harware for curtains.. I then remembered that I missed them upstairs.. the locks were changed.. I still thought nothing of this since I would have done the same thing..

The evening of the 5th I recieved a call from the LL's spouse asking me when I would be done.. I told him "I was done on tuesday except a clock, gate and hardware but wasnt able to get them since you changed the locks.. and had been working since then " As he then informed me that she was planning on charging me rent for each day I didnt give them a key.. So I came that night.. got my things and discussed how I was sorry for not getting the garbage out, and his response was normal "man its nothing.. not a huge deal.. you didnt trash the place you were a good tenant for all this time I dont have a problem with it.. shes the one thats upset"

Now.. December 4th I receive a certified letter that was mailed on December 3rd stating not only would I not be getting my deposit back +/-$1300 (I will explain how I never even expected it).. but she was requesting another $1500.. and still "not done with the estimates" for the following reasons.

Water bill - $86 *My final balance and I am/was willing to pay..
Screens - $70 I know one screen had a nickle size hole in it.. the rest I saw the stack and they were fine.. One Was never even removed it the 8 years I was there!
The Kitchen vinyl floor had to be replaced due to yellowing.. $1200"
The Carpet had to be replaced do to stains $1200.. Not ripped or anything like that..

This shes not asking money for yet, but mentions how she had to paint the rooms.. Yes we painted the rooms.. But she BOUGHT the paint for us.

A drywall project I started but honestly never finished.. The hallway I sheetrocked but never painted.. it was ready to be painted when I left however. (this is why I never expected my deposit..) I just wanted to go on my way really..

So how strict is the law when it states the LL must mail a Certified letter withing 30 days? And also.. Was I out of the apartment on the 2nd? or the 1st? Remember the power was off.. and they changed the locks.

We never did a walk through.. the only thing I have saying when I was out of the apartment was that the utilities were turned off.. and ON the 2nd I did walk through with my videocamera.. thats really about it.

Bottom line I guess I am pretty hurt.. and now stressed fearing that she is not only going to sue me for the $1500.. but even more since shes listing everything she can on this..

Once again I thank you in advance for your advice..
Sincerly

S

seniorjudge

What is the dollar amount of your damages?

What does the written lease say about such a situation.

Your recourse appears to be in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">