• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deposit Kept to fix Something already 'fixed'!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarmerJ

If that mobile was built in 75 that in itself makes my eyebrows raise, 1975 means that it was a pre hud standards home http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/ramh/mhs/faq > 8th paragraph down Homes built prior to June 15, 1976, even with modifications, do not meet the HUD standards. < so what im trying to tell you is at best that house had a crappy plywood floor that had damage long before you came along , BTW I weigh more than you and bottom line , if that floor was not rotted to start with even I would not have broken thru it just by putting weight on it SO do not blame your self , SO go and see if you can get a copy of the homes registration from your state or something that shows when it was built, if you can get a statement from the party who repaired it or maybe if they could be persuaded to come to court with you then id say go for it and sue the LL for refund of what they held back and let them explain to the court how your one year tenancy destroyed the floor.

ShellraeG

If that mobile was built in 75 that in itself makes my eyebrows raise, 1975 means that it was a pre hud standards home http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/ramh/mhs/faq > 8th paragraph down Homes built prior to June 15, 1976, even with modifications, do not meet the HUD standards. < so what im trying to tell you is at best that house had a crappy plywood floor that had damage long before you came along , BTW I weigh more than you and bottom line , if that floor was not rotted to start with even I would not have broken thru it just by putting weight on it SO do not blame your self , SO go and see if you can get a copy of the homes registration from your state or something that shows when it was built, if you can get a statement from the party who repaired it or maybe if they could be persuaded to come to court with you then id say go for it and sue the LL for refund of what they held back and let them explain to the court how your one year tenancy destroyed the floor.
I guess what urks me most since Im thinking about it is in any bathroom Ive ever had, while my parents owned or rented, or while I owned, Ive had the toilet over flow several times, general water from bathing get on the floor, and NEVER has any floor 'rotted' or collapsed like this. To me it almost looked like particle board or some kind of maybe pressed board, though I believe he repaired it with actual solid wood piece cut to fit. This was a standing shower with 2 sliding doors, and as far as I know, anyone who used it, always had them set up to where the one closest to the head was on the inside track so water couldnt go between them even. Also Id like to state, we lived there a total of 2 yrs, this problem initiated after the first year, And Ill swear on a stack of Bibles or take a lie detector, WE WERE NOT NEGLIGENT in any way other than perhaps being unaware there was even any leak because there was NEVER any pools or puddles of water. When I initially heard drips I called because I realized that maybe it had been many years since there was new anything in that bathroom but it appeared very clean overall. Under the grout around the edges when it came up during cleaning, we did find black mildew or mold, but we washed it and caulked it ourselves (opposite side of toilet)--Now for a visual, the bathroom was literally as wide as the 60inch shower -the toilet about 12-15 inches next to the shower head side of the wall, then the width of a door, when opened sat next to the toilet, then a vanity which was wall to wall against the other wall parallel with the shower. 2 ppl could stand safely but very crowded. The room itself made me feel claustrophobic so I had to shower & clean it with the window and doors open. And after the leak thing started and then my fear, I used it 3-4 times a week at best for showering. The old guy who actually took those several days to fix it, told my hubby and casually to me when I inquired that it appeared to be old or long term damage, and not some silly leak over several months. As we are NOT professionals, we didnt question his work, they are a pretty well known company in the BHC area, and I didnt even ask his position or ranking? But no one came to check his work or supervise. Like I said after it was done the property manager did come by to take pics for the owners and said it was ALL good--pretty--I knew just with common logic that just replacing a piece was going to make it move or bow over some time, and any water would seep through the gaps of the linolium tiles because its just those self adhesive types, no grout or anything to actually prevent it from getting any water damage, (in our new place there is actual tile-big huge squares and no water is gonna get under those suckers!) Linolium tiles overall, ESPECIALLY in say the kitchen & bathroom where a potential water problem could arise at any time is just begging to be ruined over a period of time. If it had been a full sheet of the stuff, tile, cork or any other type product made to suit water that would have been logical. But alas it wasnt my money (or so I thought) nor did I have any say in it. I dont know how the rest of the house with the same crappy tile in EVERY room (1447 sq ft of it) isnt damaged like that if in fact it was our fault, or why would we only purposely destroy that lil area of a guest bathroom so we could get penalized --it doesnt make any sense.
I wish I had known the law/rules for AZ, previous to this I lived in my official first rental for 14 yrs in NV and other than some basic stuff, here and there, and a crazy roof leak in my apartment that turned into black mold, but was relocated promptly, I just didnt think a good paying tenant who was mostly clean would have to deal with these kinds of problems going through a professional realty company rather than some side deal with some shady landlord/slumlord. Now I know it doesnt matter at all. Ive already had to document my clogged sink in the bathroom here, took a video, documented times & dates it was reported and repaired, and even copied my phone record immediate sent to my email so it couldnt be lost because NOW Im paranoid!
I realize now Im ranting and rambling about every little thing but dang it, Im a good person and this crazy bad crap happens to me and Im fairly educated but like I said, obviously not of laws or rules that may come back to bite me. Thank you for your time. Ill check to see if I can get the HUD info on this property--it was 705 Palo Verde Drive, BHC, AZ if you want to give it a gander...lol

FarmerJ

In some states manufactured housing is registered like cars are with the states motor vehicle desk, In some places county property tax desk will also have a year built or in that homes case maybe the first year it was listed /built in the tax information if mobile homes are subject to property taxes. But I think if you went to court having the information as to the homes age might also help you since as far as mobile homes /manufactured homes go that house was truly a dinosaur !

ShellraeG

In some states manufactured housing is registered like cars are with the states motor vehicle desk, In some places county property tax desk will also have a year built or in that homes case maybe the first year it was listed /built in the tax information if mobile homes are subject to property taxes. But I think if you went to court having the information as to the homes age might also help you since as far as mobile homes /manufactured homes go that house was truly a dinosaur !
yes indeed as many properties here are. My current property is 1977 according to Truvias info, but you can tell its been updated with tile, yes the paneling has been painted (thank goodness cuz that look drains my ability to think-so dark!) carpet is 'newer' though not sure just how new. bathrooms hardware, fixtures and stalls, all relevant for now or within this decade! blinds are newish. its not too bad and the yard isnt a bunch of nonsense with things I dont know how to cultivate, or care for like the previous who didnt even tell me we had working sprinklers till more than a year AFTER we moved in but didnt suggest how often nor could tell me the names of the things growing so I could find info of my own to keep up with.

Oh all the websites I searched for at the 705 Palo Verde address stated it was built in 1975. but it doesnt say when updates or changes INSIDE were made, so Im not getting other than knowing what year it was built, will service me, Ahh but I did find that we signed a paint may contain lead disclosure because apparently before i think it says 78 many things had lead chips, paint, blah blah...and can cause learning disabilities and other health issues, I was medicated when I signed this lease so how quickly this particular page was shuffled aside slipped my thoughts--

Im just a fkd person overall...nothing goes right...im bummed

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">