• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deposit on a vacation rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisa_umd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I rented a condo in Raleigh owned by a real estate agent in Florida and brokered by her daughter in Raleigh, who is an attorney specializing in real estate. To get into the apartment for a 1-month lease, they required us to complete a credit check, give them 2 cashier's checks (1 for the deposit, 1 for rent), and sign a ~10-page lease. We thought this was all a bit excessive, but were hoping that it just meant everything was being done by-the-book.

They knew when we were leaving the whole time, yet they told us at the last minute that the attorney wasn't available to check us out because it was her daughter's birthday. We became a bit suspicious and asked if she could check us out the night before, but they refused and asked us to simply leave the apartment unlocked. Instead, we locked the door, put the key under the doormat, and took pictures of everything we could before we left. However, we could not complete a check-out inventory because they refused.

They initially returned $122 of a $500 deposit, claiming that we had "decimated" a dried flower arrangement, left the place "excessively filthy" and requiring rug cleaning & 6 hours of extra cleaning by the housekeeper (who came weekly while we were there), and that most of the cleaning supplies were gone. We immediately responded with our pictures, proving that the majority of the accusations were unfounded (the only exception was their charge that we had stained 2 towels--I didn't think to take pictures of them). They responded with a "compromise to be fair to all parties" and returned an additional $123.

This has been extremely frustrating because we are honest people, and it has literally made me sick for weeks--I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). We are thinking of suing them, although we are hesitant because we have never done anything like this, and they are experienced real estate agents/attorneys. In addition, we are no longer in NC. It isn't a lot of money, but we're honest people and are tired of being taken advantage of.

Your advice/assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">