• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did Not Sign Renewal Lease, Lease Expired, Am I Bound?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdtenant17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I presently live in a private home with two other roommates. We moved into the home during August 2010, and, the initial lease went from August 2010 to August 2011. We signed our first lease at a realtor's office, which was then signed by the landlord, and, we received a copy post-move in. Everything, last year, was done formally.

At the end of August 2011, instead of having us return to the realtor's office, our landlord just asked us to 'sign' a blank lease agreement that did not have our names, (just, his name and the address), electronically, meaning, just e-mail him back with our name, and, that we agreed to the terms of the blank template he sent to us via e-mail. I did not reply via e-mail, did not send in any paperwork, there is nothing stating that I agreed to a new lease agreement. My two other roommates, from what I understand, did e-mail him back, but, again, I did not.

To add, there have been excessive structural-related issues with the home left unaddressed over the past year, which has especially worsened after all of the excessive rain, which are causing unsafe and hazardous conditions. The landlord is not handling these issues properly. He also keeps making constant, unannounced visits to the home, and, I'm at my wits end. Hence, I want to move out and remove myself from this kind of environment.

My questions are:

a) Am I legally bound to anything, if I did not sign a new lease, via e-mail, or in person through a hard copy document? I have lived in the apartment post the lease expiration, and, the other two roommates at least wrote back in e-mail that they were planning on renewing, but, essentially I'm thinking that this is legally, in MTM status, as there is no formal lease agreement that has been executed.

b) If I am not bound, if I provide adequate notice of 30 days required by the old lease, I would assume (after inspection), that I am rightly due my security deposit?

c) Is there any legal recourse the landlord could take on me in this situation? I doubt it, but, I just want to make sure I handle things correctly so I can relocate and get out of this environment as soon as possible.

Thanks so much in advance for your advice. Feel free to PM me if you require any additional details.

sandyclaus

If you did not sign the new lease agreement, you are not bound to it's terms. At this point, you would be considered a month-to-month tenant until such time as you provide proper notice of your intent to terminate your tenancy.

If the other remaining tenants wish to extend their lease, let them sign the lease alone and they will remain responsible under the terms they are agreeing to.

mdtenant17

That's what I thought, just wanted to confirm.

Thanks Sandy, I appreciate it. Will provide appropriate written notice this week and then plan to vacate. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">