• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

did previous landlord violate my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ahk79

i live in new york state. the last home i had was a rented mobile home. when i lived there, i had a lease. 6 mos. into the 1 yr. lease, i asked my landlady to let me move out. she said no. then one day she calls me up, and told me that i could move, but i had to move quick, in a few days.this was around the 5th of the month and my rent was paid until the first of the following month. i wanted to leave on good terms, so we moved out rather quickly.i stayed with family for a few days while moving my things. I went to get the last of my stuff and found that my landlord had taken down my sattelite dish, and removed everything i had on the porch and locked it up, and i couldn't gain access to it for a few days. then when i asked for my security deposit back, she refused, saying that i did a bunch of damage, which i did not, there were problems that exsisted when i moved in. what can i do to obtain my security deposit and what are my legal rights as far as the landlord removing my personal belongings with no permission, with rent paid up to date, and no written eviction notice, and no legal eviction papers.

M

mary hartman

You violated RULE # 1:

NEVER pisssss off the Landlord.

YOU wanted out of the lease, YOU did not get anything in writing YOU did not take everything with you when you left

YOU acted like you abandoned the property, so the landlord removed everything and put it in storage......YOU did get it back RIGHT?

YOU owe for rent untill the landlord re rents the property.

So if all you lost was your security....

THEN YOU GOT A GREAT DEAL..... now move on with your life.

Unless you want to sue the landlord in small claims court, for it but then YOU have to prove there was no damage, and if the landlord actually did pay someone to fix things ..who is a judge gonna belive?

She probably found someone fast to re rent the place, so then you would be entitled to sue for the security and part of the months rent back...because the landlord is entitled BY LAW not to lose even ONE DAYS rent on YOU!

But with nothing in writing, if they have a lease that starts the next month, oh well who is a judge gonna believe?

[Edited by mary hartman on 04-17-2001 at 07:42 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">