• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disclosure of Flood in Apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fcd443

Texas

I recently moved into an apartment and have come to find out that my apartment was flooded prior to me moving in. The landlord did not disclose this information prior to me moving in.

Under these circumstances could the leasing contract become void?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Texas

I recently moved into an apartment and have come to find out that my apartment was flooded prior to me moving in. The landlord did not disclose this information prior to me moving in.

Not at all.

LdiJ

Texas

What would make you think that it would? I am trying to figure out what we might be missing?

Zigner

What would make you think that it would? I am trying to figure out what we might be missing?
Guessing here -

OP thinks that there may be a mold issue because of the prior flooding. That's really the only thing I could think of... Of course, it isn't grounds to invalidate the lease (even if a mold issue turns up).

fcd443

Guessing here -

OP thinks that there may be a mold issue because of the prior flooding. That's really the only thing I could think of... Of course, it isn't grounds to invalidate the lease (even if a mold issue turns up).

Reasoning behind the question was in regards to full disclosure. I was merely wondering that since this is what I call home, shouldn't the landlord be obligated to fully inform me of the prior accidents that have occurred? Is this not material information when signing a lease?

Also, thanks for the quick response.

STEPHAN

No need to disclose anything. You had the change to inspect the property.

(Only if you were buying.)

Zigner

Reasoning behind the question was in regards to full disclosure. I was merely wondering that since this is what I call home, shouldn't the landlord be obligated to fully inform me of the prior accidents that have occurred? Is this not material information when signing a lease?

Also, thanks for the quick response.
You're not buying the place, you're simply renting. There is very little of the prior history that the LL would be required to disclose to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">