• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i have to pay for installing a satellite dish if it is not written in my lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1Toyab

My family and I just moved to Texas and my landlord is telling us that we have to pay a $250 non-refundable sexurity deposit for installing a DirectTv satellite dish. There is nothing in my lease that says this nor was I aware of it before having the dish installed. My landlord admitted that it is not in the lease, however we should of requested permission to install before hand. After reading the lease, it does state that the satellite will now be the landlord's property and the removal of it (to include any repairs from it that need to be made) will be taken out of my initial security deposit. Am I obligated to pay an addition $250 deposit since it is not in my lease nor was it agreed upon before signing of the lease?

FarmerJ

If it was me I would tell the LL in a certified letter that he should keep in mind that having a dish available is a advertising tool for future tenants, I would tell him that I was sorry that I didn't mention the install before it was done and since the lease is silent on the fee that I wont be paying it. IF you go that route then I would tell you to plan on taking pics now of the homes conditions and general wear and tear and have them printed and stored safely like in your bank box then when the time comes to move out use a self storage unit to take things to in the weeks before moving out so you can easily clean every thing from A to Z and take more pictures all over again as if you were going to have to sue the LL for deposit refund. BTW do your self a favor and learn from the FCC web site what they have to say about rentals and being able to have satellite services.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
BTW do your self a favor and learn from the FCC web site what they have to say about rentals and being able to have satellite services.
Here's the link to the FCC information: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/installing-consumer-owned-antennas-and-satellite-dishes

I don't believe a deposit requirement is enforceable, but any damages caused by the installation can be recovered from the tenant. Is this an apartment/condo/multi-family rental complex, or is it a single-family home?

adjusterjack

Am I obligated to pay an addition $250 deposit since it is not in my lease nor was it agreed upon before signing of the lease?
I agree that you aren't required to put up the additional security now but understand that when you move out and you take the dish with you, the repair of any holes left behind, or any other damage from the installation, will come out of your security deposit.

However, think about this. Eventually, and perhaps on numerous occasions, you are going to want something from the landlord that he may have no obligation to give, or have no obligation to give you priority.

Do you really want a less-than-cordial relationship with your landlord from the getgo?

Last edited:

FarmerJ

DO not remove it when the time comes to move out , as you wrote > After reading the lease, it does state that the satellite will now be the landlord's property and the removal of it (to include any repairs from it that need to be made) will be taken out of my initial security deposit< absolutely this is what stands , that lease is to be your landlords bible so to speak, having a rental unit = being in business and in the end when challenged in court by tenants who have a landlord who tries to pull new lease terms out of thin air courts do not reward landlords. Your LL has already said in the lease it is now the landlords as with any other permanent items you attach to the property. Personally I have a huge distaste for landlords who get too creative when it comes to leases, ( if you were only planning on staying one year then stand your ground and tell LL NO) and btw even if you wanted to stay more than one year for all you know the LL might not have wanted to renew with you anyway in order to sell, move back into it , move a relative into it? or even let it foreclose.

Zigner

DO not remove it when the time comes to move out , as you wrote > After reading the lease, it does state that the satellite will now be the landlord's property and the removal of it (to include any repairs from it that need to be made) will be taken out of my initial security deposit< absolutely this is what stands , that lease is to be your landlords bible so to speak, having a rental unit = being in business and in the end when challenged in court by tenants who have a landlord who tries to pull new lease terms out of thin air courts do not reward landlords. Your LL has already said in the lease it is now the landlords as with any other permanent items you attach to the property. Personally I have a huge distaste for landlords who get too creative when it comes to leases, ( if you were only planning on staying one year then stand your ground and tell LL NO) and btw even if you wanted to stay more than one year for all you know the LL might not have wanted to renew with you anyway in order to sell, move back into it , move a relative into it? or even let it foreclose.
However...
The Landlord *can* require now that the dish be removed and any damage be repaired if the dish was installed in an improper location. This could easily lead to an eviction situation if the OP doesn't pay for it.

FarmerJ

zigner when you say >However...
The Landlord *can* require now that the dish be removed < I saw nothing in that FCC web site that would grant a landlord the right to force a tenant to give up the service , now at the end of the lease term if a landlord were to remove the dish then I can see a LL wanting to charge say to replace shingles that were punctured by a dish install or other actual damage like repairing holes in siding for cables but when the FCC web page said What Kinds of Restrictions Are Prohibited?

Restrictions that prevent or delay installation, maintenance or use of antennas covered by the rule are prohibited. For example, in most cases, requirements to get approval before installing an antenna are prohibited.
where it says > [U or use of antennas covered ][/U] it sure sounds like the LL could not with zero consequence force a tenant to give up service.

LdiJ

I agree that you aren't required to put up the additional security now but understand that when you move out and you take the dish with you, the repair of any holes left behind, or any other damage from the installation, will come out of your security deposit.

However, think about this. Eventually, and perhaps on numerous occasions, you are going to want something from the landlord that he may have no obligation to give, or have no obligation to give you priority.

Do you really want a less-than-cordial relationship with your landlord from the getgo?
I do not think that a tenant should ever roll over and play dead when a landlord demands something that is not included in the lease. Nor do I think that a landlord should roll over and play dead if a tenant demands something that is not included in the lease. A lease is a contract and contracts should be honored...period.

Doing anything that the lease doesn't require just to make either a landlord or a tenant happy is a recipe for disaster.

Zigner

zigner when you say >However...
The Landlord *can* require now that the dish be removed < I saw nothing in that FCC web site that would grant a landlord the right to force a tenant to give up the service...
I don't believe that I ever said that...it certainly wasn't my intention. The OP can get some sort of stand that doesn't attach to and/or damage the building.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">