• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to Prorate Rent Due if Tenant leaves early?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klieber11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I own my home and had a renter renting out one of my rooms for the past year. I got a job in a different city and gave him 60-day notice of termination. He in turn gave me back a 30-day notice which I gladly accepted wanting him to leave in 30-days so I could paint his room.

However, he left 15 days early and is expecting me to prorate his rent. I was not expecting this since I had his 30-day notice and was hoping to use his rent money for these 30-days to help me get the house maintenanced before I move.

Do I owe him for these 15days of rent because he left early eventhough he gave me 30-days notice???

THanks,

seniorjudge

Q: Do I owe him for these 15 days of rent because he left early eventhough he gave me 30-days notice?

A: No; you agreed to it and so did he.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">