• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to evict?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shannon campbel

What is the name of your state? Colorado
My tenants gave me written notice to move on 02-23-04. They wrote that they would not be paying for the last months rent and that I should use the security deposit. I re- rented the [property as of 03-23-04 and then the tenants refused to give the future tenants the keys. They stated that they don't need to give any keys back until 03-31-04. They now claim to have mailed the keys to me even though I sent a certified letter stating to give the keys to the next door neighbor. They also now claim to have given up possesion of the property. I did the three day notice on 03-22-04 since they never did pay any rent for march. If I take them to court, do I have to go through with the whole eviction process before re-claiming possesion of the property even though they have moved and given me written notice that they would be out of the house by 03-23-04 or can I just re-rent the property now? They also may have caused me to lose this tenant. She is now staying in a hotel. Please help asap! Thanks so much.

HomeGuru

shannon campbel said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado
My tenants gave me written notice to move on 02-23-04. They wrote that they would not be paying for the last months rent and that I should use the security deposit. I re- rented the [property as of 03-23-04 and then the tenants refused to give the future tenants the keys. They stated that they don't need to give any keys back until 03-31-04. They now claim to have mailed the keys to me even though I sent a certified letter stating to give the keys to the next door neighbor. They also now claim to have given up possesion of the property. I did the three day notice on 03-22-04 since they never did pay any rent for march. If I take them to court, do I have to go through with the whole eviction process before re-claiming possesion of the property even though they have moved and given me written notice that they would be out of the house by 03-23-04 or can I just re-rent the property now? They also may have caused me to lose this tenant. She is now staying in a hotel. Please help asap! Thanks so much.
**A: stop playing games. Consider the place abandoned by the former tenants and change the locks. Why did you instruct the old tenants to give the neighbor the keys anyway? You need to learn a few things in being a landlord.

S

shannon campbel

reply on why I neighbor was to receive keys

The reason the next door neighbor was to receive the keys for me is because I live out of state. I was not able to be there on move out day. I had another tenant moving in and my neighbor was nice enough to forward the keys to the new tenant.

HomeGuru

Re: reply on why I neighbor was to receive keys

shannon campbel said:
The reason the next door neighbor was to receive the keys for me is because I live out of state.

**A: then damn it, hire a professional rental management company.
I was not able to be there on move out day. I had another tenant moving in and my neighbor was nice enough to forward the keys to the new tenant.
**A: oh brother.

B

Born to Lease

HG, wouldn't the LL have to PAY a professional management? The neighbor, who is just next door and also very nice, can accept the key for free!!! :D Of course, the LL may need to have the nice neighbor take some courses related to LL/T issues, and it would not be a bad idea if the LL brushed up on her Landlording skills as well. :rolleyes:

Ms. Campbell:

Seriously, tt would really be to your advantage to hire a professional Property Manager who would handle all the tasks associated with managing a rental property. The fact, that your lack of experience and knowledge presents for you HUGE liability risks, would be worth far more than you would ever pay for the costs of professional management. You should also consider the fact you have already lost rental income AND a potential tenant.
:(

At this rate, factoring into the equation lost rent, risk of liability, potential costs of repairs for damages caused by tenants, unforseen maintenance expenses, and all the standard costs associated with owning rental property, mismanagement of your property will cost you more than the total value of the property. :(

Find, in the area where the property is located, an attorney who specializes in Landlord Tenant matters (not a Real Estate Attorney, unless s/he deals with LL/T matters). Meet with the attorney and, at the very least, hire him/her to advise you in ALL matters associated with the rental of your property. But I would suggest meeting with the LL/T Attorney to determine the type Management Company that would best manage your property...and it would be a really good idea to do this without delay!

HomeGuru

Born to Lease said:
HG, wouldn't the LL have to PAY a professional management?

**A: of course, but that is the cost of doing buiness when you live out of state.
The neighbor, who is just next door and also very nice, can accept the key for free!!! :D Of course, the LL may need to have the nice neighbor take some courses related to LL/T issues, and it would not be a bad idea if the LL brushed up on her Landlording skills as well. :rolleyes:

Ms. Campbell:

Seriously, tt would really be to your advantage to hire a professional Property Manager who would handle all the tasks associated with managing a rental property. The fact, that your lack of experience and knowledge presents for you HUGE liability risks, would be worth far more than you would ever pay for the costs of professional management. You should also consider the fact you have already lost rental income AND a potential tenant.
:(

At this rate, factoring into the equation lost rent, risk of liability, potential costs of repairs for damages caused by tenants, unforseen maintenance expenses, and all the standard costs associated with owning rental property, mismanagement of your property will cost you more than the total value of the property. :(

Find, in the area where the property is located, an attorney who specializes in Landlord Tenant matters (not a Real Estate Attorney, unless s/he deals with LL/T matters). Meet with the attorney and, at the very least, hire him/her to advise you in ALL matters associated with the rental of your property. But I would suggest meeting with the LL/T Attorney to determine the type Management Company that would best manage your property...and it would be a really good idea to do this without delay!
**A: good idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">