• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a reason to evict?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BSJM

What is the name of your state?Ca

I manage a house in which the individual rooms are rented to separate tenants. My sister-in-law and her son occupy 2 of 4. I have an existing tenant renting a room who has always payed his rent on time but has never had a written lease. I just finished dealing with a bad tenant who also didn't have a lease so now it's time for everyone to sign one. When presented with the lease, he had a problem with my wording on how the garage was to be divided. He claims that when he moved in 8 months ago that he was promised 1/2 of the garage space. The new lease spells out that he has only 1/3rd. He currently occupied 1/2 of the garage space with no complaints from the other tenants, so there is no problem as I see it. I still want him to sign the lease stating he has the right to only 1/3rd just in case there is an issue down the line.

Do I have to right to evict him (following proper procedure of course) if he refuses to sign the lease?

south

Are you in a rent control area?

BSJM said:
What is the name of your state?Ca

I manage a house in which the individual rooms are rented to separate tenants. My sister-in-law and her son occupy 2 of 4. I have an existing tenant renting a room who has always payed his rent on time but has never had a written lease. I just finished dealing with a bad tenant who also didn't have a lease so now it's time for everyone to sign one. When presented with the lease, he had a problem with my wording on how the garage was to be divided. He claims that when he moved in 8 months ago that he was promised 1/2 of the garage space. The new lease spells out that he has only 1/3rd. He currently occupied 1/2 of the garage space with no complaints from the other tenants, so there is no problem as I see it. I still want him to sign the lease stating he has the right to only 1/3rd just in case there is an issue down the line.

Do I have to right to evict him (following proper procedure of course) if he refuses to sign the lease?

Who's Liable?

Who cares about what he likes? If he doesn't like the terms of the lease, you can evict him... You do not have to agree to HIS terms, he has to agree with YOUR terms... If he does not sign the lease, he is a month-to-month tenant and you can legally evict him with WRITTEN 30 day notice to vacate... Double check with your state's LL/T laws...

south

Screw him and his 1/2 garage, stick to 1/3, if he does not want to accept tell him then he has to leave and make sure you block the other section of garage.

'California' Which city are you in some do not have rent control but they may have eviction control which is a set of reasons you can evict.

Either way if you have eviction control simply give him a 100% rent increase to get rid of him.

If no eviction control just give notice to leave.

BSJM said:
No rent control.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">